what is correct aproach to serving sites with vagrant/virtualbox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what is correct aproach to serving sites with vagrant/virtualbox

MiratCanBayrak
Hi,

I just completed my vagrant box for a product that made by my company.
I needed that because we're running same product on different
operating systems. I want to serve sites inside virtual machines, i
have questions:

 * Am i on correct way? Can a virtual machine used as production
server?

if you say yes:

 * How should i keep virtualbox running? Are there any script or sth
to restart if something crashes?
 * What happens if somebody accidentally gives "vagrant destroy"
command? What should i do if i don't want to lose my database and user
uploaded files?
 * We have some import scripts that running every beginning of the
month. sometimes they're using 7gb ram (running 1500 lines of mysql
code with lots of asynchronised instances). Can it be dangerous to run
inside VirtualBox?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is correct aproach to serving sites with vagrant/virtualbox

Mike
I would recommend against using vagrant as a production server, for
the reason you say "vagrant destroy" can make it all go away.

We use Chef to figure out how to deploy our servers via Vagrant, and
then use the same Chef code to deploy servers in production.

HTH,
-M

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM, MiratCanBayrak
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just completed my vagrant box for a product that made by my company.
> I needed that because we're running same product on different
> operating systems. I want to serve sites inside virtual machines, i
> have questions:
>
>  * Am i on correct way? Can a virtual machine used as production
> server?
>
> if you say yes:
>
>  * How should i keep virtualbox running? Are there any script or sth
> to restart if something crashes?
>  * What happens if somebody accidentally gives "vagrant destroy"
> command? What should i do if i don't want to lose my database and user
> uploaded files?
>  * We have some import scripts that running every beginning of the
> month. sometimes they're using 7gb ram (running 1500 lines of mysql
> code with lots of asynchronised instances). Can it be dangerous to run
> inside VirtualBox?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.