vagrant up stuck waiting for machine to boot unless VMware Workstation GUI console is open

vagrant up stuck waiting for machine to boot unless VMware Workstation GUI console is open

Lucas Rangit Magasweran
Consistently, Vagrant boxes are stuck waiting for machine to boot until I open the VMware Workstation GUI and leave it open. I'm using VMware Workstation 12.5.7 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 64-bit with Vagrant 2.0.0 and provider plugin vagrant-vmware-workstation 5.0.1.

This error is reproducible if I close the GUI and try to halt and up the Vagrant box again.

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'vmware_workstation' provider...
==> default: Checking if box 'bento/ubuntu-16.04' is up to date...
==> default: Verifying vmnet devices are healthy...
==> default: Preparing network adapters...
WARNING
: The VMX file for this box contains a setting that is automatically overwritten by Vagrant
WARNING
: when started. Vagrant will stop overwriting this setting in an upcoming release which may
WARNING
: prevent proper networking setup. Below is the detected VMX setting:
WARNING
:
WARNING
:   ethernet0.pcislotnumber = "33"
WARNING
:
WARNING
: If networking fails to properly configure, it may require this VMX setting. It can be manually
WARNING
: applied via the Vagrantfile:
WARNING
:
WARNING
:   Vagrant.configure(2) do |config|
WARNING
:     config.vm.provider :vmare_workstation do |vmware|
WARNING
:       vmware.vmx["ethernet0.pcislotnumber"] = "33"
WARNING
:     end
WARNING
:   end
WARNING
:
WARNING
: For more information: https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/vmware/boxes.html#vmx-whitelisting
==> default: Fixed port collision for 22 => 2222. Now on port 2200.
==> default: Starting the VMware VM...
==> default: Waiting for the VM to receive an address...
==> default: Forwarding ports...

default: -- 22 => 2200
==> default: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...

Stuck here waiting until I open VMware Workstation GUI console. The following is the output after opening the GUI.

    default: SSH address: 127.0.0.1:2200

default: SSH username: vagrant

default: SSH auth method: private key
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Configuring network adapters within the VM...
==> default: Waiting for HGFS to become available...
==> default: Enabling and configuring shared folders...

default: -- /home/user/code: /vagrant
    default: -- /
home/user/Downloads: /vagrant_data
==> default: Machine already provisioned. Run `vagrant provision` or use the `--provision`
==> default: flag to force provisioning. Provisioners marked to run always will still run.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3eb1e4ca-7485-412f-966b-ed204644c74c%40googlegroups.com.

Re: vagrant up stuck waiting for machine to boot unless VMware Workstation GUI console is open

Mark Fletcher
I can confirm that I can replicate this on my machine.

Setup
Host OS: fedora 27 workstation
Vagrant Version: vagrant 2.0.1
Vagrant Plugin List: vagrant-share 1.1.9, vagrant-vmware-workstation 5.0.4
VMWare Workstation: 14.1.1 build 7528167
Boxes used: bento/ubuntu-16.04, puppetlabs/ubuntu-16.04-64-nocm

: For more information: https://<a href="http://www.vagrantup.com/docs/vmware/boxes.html#vmx-whitelisting" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.vagrantup.com%2Fdocs%2Fvmware%2Fboxes.html%23vmx-whitelisting\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHIJoIZOF5eemg4bzfXyjLZGjWqqA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.vagrantup.com%2Fdocs%2Fvmware%2Fboxes.html%23vmx-whitelisting\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHIJoIZOF5eemg4bzfXyjLZGjWqqA&#39;;return true;">www.vagrantup.com/docs/vmware/boxes.html#vmx-whitelisting

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3ae4e7ce-2a81-478a-9b42-922f1ebc017b%40googlegroups.com.