vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Lauren Malhoit
Hi All,
This is my first time running vagrant.  I installed the .deb 64bit package on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc, etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed and on the path.

I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the same error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Andrew O'Brien
Same issue. I just installed v1.2.3 (on a Mac OS 10.7.5) and followed the instructions. Running `VAGRANT_LOG=debug vagrant up` I got:

(snip plugin info)
 INFO manager: Registered plugin: shell
 INFO vagrant: `vagrant` invoked: ["up"]
DEBUG vagrant: Creating Vagrant environment
 INFO environment: Environment initialized (#<Vagrant::Environment:0x00000100b7e818>)
 INFO environment:   - cwd: /Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant
 INFO environment: Home path: /Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d
 INFO environment: Local data path: /Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/.vagrant
DEBUG environment: Creating: /Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/.vagrant
DEBUG environment: Loading plugins from: /Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d/plugins.json
 INFO environment: Running hook: environment_load
 INFO environment: Initializing config...
 INFO loader: Set :default = "/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/config/default.rb"
DEBUG loader: Populating proc cache for "/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/config/default.rb"
DEBUG loader: Load procs for pathname: /Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/config/default.rb
 INFO loader: Set :root = #<Pathname:/Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/Vagrantfile>
DEBUG loader: Populating proc cache for #<Pathname:/Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/Vagrantfile>
DEBUG loader: Load procs for pathname: /Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/Vagrantfile
 INFO loader: Loading configuration in order: [:default, :home, :root]
DEBUG loader: Loading from: default (evaluating)
DEBUG loader: Loading from: root (evaluating)
DEBUG loader: Configuration loaded successfully, finalizing and returning
DEBUG hosts: Host path search classes: [VagrantPlugins::HostWindows::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostOpenSUSE::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostArch::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostFedora::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostFreeBSD::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostGentoo::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostLinux::Host, VagrantPlugins::HostBSD::Host]
 INFO hosts: Host class: VagrantPlugins::HostBSD::Host
 INFO runner: Running action: #<Vagrant::Action::Builder:0x00000100c01ec0>
 INFO cli: CLI: [] "up" []
DEBUG cli: Invoking command class: VagrantPlugins::CommandUp::Command []
DEBUG command: 'Up' each target VM...
DEBUG command: Getting target VMs for command. Arguments:
DEBUG command:  -- names: []
DEBUG command:  -- options: {:provider=>nil}
DEBUG command: Loading all machines...
 INFO environment: Getting machine: default (virtualbox)
 INFO environment: Uncached load of machine.
 INFO loader: Set :vm_default = []
 INFO loader: Loading configuration in order: [:default, :home, :root, :vm_default]
DEBUG loader: Loading from: default (cache)
DEBUG loader: Loading from: root (cache)
DEBUG loader: Configuration loaded successfully, finalizing and returning
 INFO environment: Provider-supported box formats: [:virtualbox]
 INFO box_collection: Searching for box: precise32 (virtualbox) in /Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d/boxes/precise32/virtualbox/metadata.json
 INFO box_collection: Box found: precise32 (virtualbox)
 INFO environment: Box found with format: virtualbox
 INFO environment: Box exists with Vagrantfile. Reloading machine config.
 INFO loader: Set :box_precise32_virtualbox = #<Pathname:/Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d/boxes/precise32/virtualbox/Vagrantfile>
DEBUG loader: Populating proc cache for #<Pathname:/Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d/boxes/precise32/virtualbox/Vagrantfile>
DEBUG loader: Load procs for pathname: /Users/aobrien/.vagrant.d/boxes/precise32/virtualbox/Vagrantfile
 INFO loader: Loading configuration in order: [:default, :box_precise32_virtualbox, :home, :root, :vm_default]
DEBUG loader: Loading from: default (cache)
DEBUG loader: Loading from: box_precise32_virtualbox (evaluating)
DEBUG loader: Upgrading config from version 1 to 2
DEBUG loader: Upgrading config to version 2
DEBUG loader: Upgraded to version 2 with 0 warnings and 0 errors
DEBUG loader: Loading from: root (cache)
DEBUG loader: Configuration loaded successfully, finalizing and returning
 INFO machine: Initializing machine: default
 INFO machine:   - Provider: VagrantPlugins::ProviderVirtualBox::Provider
 INFO machine:   - Box: #<Vagrant::Box:0x00000100d70310>
 INFO machine:   - Data dir: /Users/aobrien/Play/vagrant/.vagrant/machines/default/virtualbox
DEBUG virtualbox: Instantiating the driver for machine ID: nil
 INFO base: VBoxManage path: VBoxManage
 INFO environment: Running hook: environment_unload
 INFO runner: Running action: #<Vagrant::Action::Builder:0x00000100b108e0>
ERROR vagrant: Vagrant experienced an error! Details:
ERROR vagrant: #<Vagrant::Errors::CommandUnavailable: The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not
found in the PATH variable. This is an error. Please verify
this software is installed and on the path.>
ERROR vagrant: The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not
found in the PATH variable. This is an error. Please verify
this software is installed and on the path.
ERROR vagrant: /Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/lib/vagrant/util/subprocess.rb:33:in `initialize'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/lib/vagrant/util/subprocess.rb:24:in `new'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/lib/vagrant/util/subprocess.rb:24:in `execute'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/driver/base.rb:358:in `block in raw'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/lib/vagrant/util/busy.rb:19:in `busy'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/driver/base.rb:357:in `raw'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/driver/base.rb:287:in `block in execute'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/lib/vagrant/util/retryable.rb:17:in `retryable'
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.2.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/driver/base.rb:285:in `execute'
(snip trace...)
 INFO interface: error: The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:49:59 PM UTC-4, Lauren Malhoit wrote:
Hi All,
This is my first time running vagrant.  I installed the .deb 64bit package on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc, etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed and on the path.

I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the same error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Mitchell Hashimoto
Whoa, that is weird. I can't reproduce this on my side but clearly you
have a stack trace showing it is happening, so I'm looking at the code
and just trying to figure out how that happens intuitively...

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Andrew O'Brien
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> This is my first time running vagrant.  I installed the .deb 64bit package
>> on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc,
>> etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I
>> then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
>> The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the
>> PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed
>> and on the path.
>>
>> I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I
>> run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just
>> running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the
>> same error.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Paul Hinze
I worked with someone on IRC with this message. It looked like bad string interpolation in the error message. It turned out we were talking about *inside* a VirtualBox VM where vagrant was installed but not VBox. Turns out the user didn't really want this, so we got it straightened out. :)

Lauren, was that you in IRC?

Anyways I think it might just be a bad error message when VBox is not found

On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc,
>>> etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I
>>> then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
>>> The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the
>>> PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed
>>> and on the path.
>>>
>>> I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I
>>> run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just
>>> running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the
>>> same error.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I'm new to Vagrant, so I'm not sure I follow: Are you saying I missed an installation step? Or I downloaded the wrong image?

Thanks.

On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="nf-7HyGepOoJ">mitchell....@...> wrote:

> [...]
>>> on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc,
>>> etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I
>>> then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
>>> The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the
>>> PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed
>>> and on the path.
>>>
>>> I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I
>>> run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just
>>> running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the
>>> same error.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Andrew,

Have you also installed VirtualBox? Vagrant depends on it.

HTH,

Paul

On Jul 12, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Andrew O'Brien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> on an Ubuntu 12.04 virtualbox VM.  I ran vagrant add precise64 http://etc,
>>> etc. and then vagrant init precise64.  All of that seemed to work fine.  I
>>> then ran vagrant up and I get the error:
>>> The executable '%(file)' Vagrant is trying to run was not found in the
>>> PATH variable.  This is an error.  Please verify this software is installed
>>> and on the path.
>>>
>>> I did read that I needed to add /opt/vagrant/bin to the PATH and when I
>>> run echo $PATH I see it at the end of the list.  I've also tried just
>>> running /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant up and that didn't work either.  I get the
>>> same error.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lauren

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

This turned out to be a regression in 1.2.3 where the VirtualBox
detection is broken. This is now fixed in git.

You need to install VirtualBox.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Paul Hinze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Have you also installed VirtualBox? Vagrant depends on it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul
>
> On Jul 12, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Andrew O'Brien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Sorry, I'm new to Vagrant, so I'm not sure I follow: Are you saying I missed
> an installation step? Or I downloaded the wrong image?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 7:31:32 AM UTC-4, Paul Hinze wrote:
>>
>> I worked with someone on IRC with this message. It looked like bad string
>> interpolation in the error message. It turned out we were talking about
>> *inside* a VirtualBox VM where vagrant was installed but not VBox. Turns out
>> the user didn't really want this, so we got it straightened out. :)
>>
>> Lauren, was that you in IRC?
>>
>> Anyways I think it might just be a bad error message when VBox is not
>> found
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Whoa, that is weird. I can't reproduce this on my side but clearly you
>> > have a stack trace showing it is happening, so I'm looking at the code
>> > and just trying  to figure out how that happens intuitively...

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Andrew O'Brien
Ah, I see. I thought the when the "Getting Started" section said that VirtualBox was "built-in to Vagrant" it meant that it came with it bundled into the DMG. I installed VirtualBox and was able to `vagrant ssh` in. Thanks!

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Paul Hinze <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V8NnEsdYeEsJ">paul.t...@...> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Have you also installed VirtualBox? Vagrant depends on it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul
>
> On Jul 12, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Andrew O'Brien <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V8NnEsdYeEsJ">obrien...@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Sorry, I'm new to Vagrant, so I'm not sure I follow: Are you saying I missed
> an installation step? Or I downloaded the wrong image?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 7:31:32 AM UTC-4, Paul Hinze wrote:
>>
>> I worked with someone on IRC with this message. It looked like bad string
>> interpolation in the error message. It turned out we were talking about
>> *inside* a VirtualBox VM where vagrant was installed but not VBox. Turns out
>> the user didn't really want this, so we got it straightened out. :)
>>
>> Lauren, was that you in IRC?
>>
>> Anyways I think it might just be a bad error message when VBox is not
>> found
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Whoa, that is weird. I can't reproduce this on my side but clearly you
>> > have a stack trace showing it is happening, so I'm looking at the code
>> > and just trying  to figure out how that happens intuitively...

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

f1346961@rmqkr.net
i got the same problem, i was also thinking folowing the instalation steps that VB is built in in the build in way. also got stacked at the inproper error message, thanks to your post i could find the solution

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

chenmj.life
Hi, Mitchell
     Is there any official guide to introduce install Vagrant in VirtualBox? Seems Getting Started said VirtualBox was "built-in to Vagrant", did not need us to install seperately. Thanks

On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:09:58 PM UTC+8, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
This turned out to be a regression in 1.2.3 where the VirtualBox
detection is broken. This is now fixed in git.

You need to install VirtualBox.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Paul Hinze <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V8NnEsdYeEsJ">paul.t...@...> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Have you also installed VirtualBox? Vagrant depends on it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul
>
> On Jul 12, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Andrew O'Brien <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V8NnEsdYeEsJ">obrien...@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Sorry, I'm new to Vagrant, so I'm not sure I follow: Are you saying I missed
> an installation step? Or I downloaded the wrong image?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 7:31:32 AM UTC-4, Paul Hinze wrote:
>>
>> I worked with someone on IRC with this message. It looked like bad string
>> interpolation in the error message. It turned out we were talking about
>> *inside* a VirtualBox VM where vagrant was installed but not VBox. Turns out
>> the user didn't really want this, so we got it straightened out. :)
>>
>> Lauren, was that you in IRC?
>>
>> Anyways I think it might just be a bad error message when VBox is not
>> found
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Whoa, that is weird. I can't reproduce this on my side but clearly you
>> > have a stack trace showing it is happening, so I'm looking at the code
>> > and just trying  to figure out how that happens intuitively...

Re: vagrant up error: was not found in the PATH variable

Mitchell Hashimoto
Vagrant is installed alongside VirtualBox, not in it.

You just install them both. No guide needed. Download, install. Both of them.