[vagrant-up] 10 second delay on 1st request after VM has been idle for a few minutes

[vagrant-up] 10 second delay on 1st request after VM has been idle for a few minutes

Andy Beaumont
Hi.

I've got a weird issue. All my VMs have a 10 second delay responding to a request if I leave them alone for a few minutes. Subsequent requests behave normally, but if I don't make any requests for a few minutes again, the 10 second delay comes back.
I'm on OS X 10.8.2 with Ubuntu Precise 64 guests (the issue happens whether I use my own or one from vagrantbox.es), hostonly network, nfs mounted /vagrant folder. Guest editions are up to date and my VirtualBox version is 4.2.6 r82870. The issue is happening to coworkers too.
I've been debugging this backwards from my app, when I added xdebug tracing either side of phpinfo(); this was the resulting trace...

TRACE START [2013-01-11 11:53:36]
   10.0595     649576     -> xdebug_stop_trace() /vagrant/site/public/info.php:4
   10.0596     649664
TRACE END   [2013-01-11 11:53:36]

You can see that the trace doesn't even start happening until 10 seconds. Here's the trace for a subsequent request for the same file...

TRACE START [2013-01-11 11:56:02]
    0.0034     650360     -> xdebug_stop_trace() /vagrant/site/public/info.php:4
    0.0034     650448
TRACE END   [2013-01-11 11:56:02]

So far I have tried...

Switching from Apache to nginx/php-fpm
Switching php-fpm to run on a socket rather than tcp/ip
Enabling / disabling XCache
Disabling the PHP memcache extension (I noticed it had a 10 second timeout)
Destroying and rebuilding the VM from different boxes.
Fiddling with config.vm.customize in my Vagrant file (2 CPUs, 1MB RAM, natdnsproxy1 off)

Frankly I'm stumped and not sure what else to try, so I thought I'd ask here in case it's something to do with Vagrant / VirtualBox. Sorry if it isn't something to do with Vagrant.