vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

Maksym Mikhalov
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install chef plugin under the macOS 10.12.4 (sierra) without any success. Here is small listing:

vagrant plugin install chef

Installing the 'chef' plugin. This can take a few minutes...

Fetching: public_suffix-2.0.5.gem (100%)

Fetching: addressable-2.5.1.gem (100%)

Fetching: fuzzyurl-0.9.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: mixlib-config-2.2.4.gem (100%)

Fetching: mixlib-shellout-2.2.7.gem (100%)

Fetching: chef-config-13.0.118.gem (100%)

Fetching: mixlib-cli-1.7.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: libyajl2-1.2.0.gem (100%)

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...

Fetching: ffi-yajl-2.3.0.gem (100%)

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...

Fetching: mixlib-log-1.7.1.gem (100%)

Fetching: diff-lcs-1.3.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-support-3.5.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-mocks-3.5.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-expectations-3.5.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-core-3.5.4.gem (100%)

Fetching: sfl-2.3.gem (100%)

Fetching: net-telnet-0.1.1.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-its-1.2.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec-3.5.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rack-2.0.1.gem (100%)

Fetching: hashie-3.5.5.gem (100%)

Fetching: net-ssh-gateway-1.3.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: wmi-lite-1.0.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: ipaddress-0.8.3.gem (100%)

Fetching: systemu-2.6.5.gem (100%)

Fetching: proxifier-1.0.3.gem (100%)

Fetching: uuidtools-2.1.5.gem (100%)

Fetching: syslog-logger-1.6.8.gem (100%)

Fetching: specinfra-2.67.8.gem (100%)

Fetching: serverspec-2.38.0.gem (100%)

Fetching: rspec_junit_formatter-0.2.3.gem (100%)

Fetching: iso8601-0.9.1.gem (100%)

Fetching: iniparse-1.4.2.gem (100%)

Fetching: plist-3.2.0.gem (100%)

Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,

reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually

caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network

issues. The error from Bundler is:

chef-zero requires Ruby version >= 2.3.1.

My ruby version is 2.4.1p111 but vagrant looking only to its embedded folder. I also installed rvm and able to switch between environments but it didn't help to.
I have bundler 1.14.6 also installed. I tried different methods that I found in the internet but nothing helped me.
Can someone explain how to install chef plugin for Vagrant 1.9.3 or force vagrant to use system ruby (I think it will help).

Thanks a lot,
Macs

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3e5d478d-0a25-453a-a6be-572b0b874390%40googlegroups.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello

couple of clarifications.

when you run vagrant plugin install, you are using the ruby embedded with vagrant.

when you want to install a vagrant plugin, they usually have vagrant-<name>, ie vagrant-share

vagrant plugin install vagrant-share

the above command will install a gem that is a vagrant plugin, so its expected to install and work.

What you are doing in your command is, installing the chef gem that is not a vagrant plugin, therefore the error.

You shouldn't be doing that.

What do you want to do?

If you want to provision with chef inside the guest vm, you don't need that. Vagrant (the software) knows how to run chef commands.

What you need is chef (the client) installed on the guest (the vm)

Hope this helps to clarify.

Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ewrN3z0mZgtSzdWAq3NQ5qs5vr%3D_4StXNznzNVuTb-aCw%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

Maksym Mikhalov
Hi Avlaro,

thanks for your reply. I understood my mistake - I used "chef" provisioner instead of "chef-client". That is why I went via wrong way of finding "chef" plugin.

Best regards,
Maks

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/130da8f4-d7eb-4c91-8ea2-b01abbeb30d0%40googlegroups.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello!

Not a problem.

Feel free to share a minimal github repo or vagrant file for people coming in the future, so they can see how this looks.

Thanks!
Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/153556f9-5c4e-47b4-8b9d-010a215e8310%40googlegroups.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

bot 4

I'm using vagrant version 1.9.4 (Have to run this version to match specifications for cookbook specified version for chef).

Host operating system

macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Guest operating system

Ubuntu 14.04

Expected behavior

Should install the plugin vagrant-librarian-chef using vagrant plugin install vagrant-librarian-chef

Actual behavior

Gives the following error,

Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,

reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually

caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network

issues. The error from Bundler is:

chef-zero requires Ruby version >= 2.3.1.

References

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/8881283a-7977-4cea-b94c-188dae09645c%40googlegroups.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello
Plugin may have their own requirements

So you may have to use a different version of the plugin.

I will suggest with the plugin maintainer to confirm that.

vagrant-librarian-chef

WARNING: This project is no longer maintained. You should use Berkshelf instead.

Alvaro

Hi,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0exZcXhGHK_W1oO4vo237iyqAYScvAKrL3tF2rsq3hzQTw%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: vagrant plugin install chef fails under macOS 10.12.4

bot 4
Hi,

Using vagrant plugin install chef-zero solves this ruby version issue, but upon again trying vagrant plugin install vagrant-librarian-chef again causes the following error,

Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,
reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually
caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network
issues. The error from Bundler is:
conflicting dependencies net-ssh (~> 4.1.0) and net-ssh (> 0)
Activated net-ssh-0.5.0
which does not match conflicting dependency (~> 4.1.0)
Conflicting dependency chains:
net-ssh (> 0), 0.5.0 activated
versus:
vagrant-share (> 0), 1.1.7 activated, depends on
vagrant (>= 1.9.2), 1.9.4 activated, depends on
net-ssh (~> 4.1.0)
Gems matching net-ssh (~> 4.1.0):
net-ssh-4.1.0

Suggested workaround for this?

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 8:03:41 PM UTC+5, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
Hello
Plugin may have their own requirements

So you may have to use a different version of the plugin.

I will suggest with the plugin maintainer to confirm that.

vagrant-librarian-chef

WARNING: This project is no longer maintained. You should use <a href="http://berkshelf.com/" rel="nofollow" style="background-color:transparent;color:rgb(3,102,214);text-decoration:none" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fberkshelf.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGp8BSlKdpboDeV9pzUvAmMnMWUuQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fberkshelf.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGp8BSlKdpboDeV9pzUvAmMnMWUuQ&#39;;return true;">Berkshelf instead.

Alvaro

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:00 PM, bot 4 <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="hWU6tlDpCQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">botwillt...@...> wrote:
Hi,