vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Seth Chisamore
Ohai,

I just released vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1. For those that don't know, vagrant-omnibus is Vagrant plugin that ensures the desired version of Chef is installed via the platform-specific Omnibus packages from Opscode. This proves very useful when using Vagrant with provisioner-less baseboxes OR cloud images!

Highlights from this release include:

* Plugin now correctly operates in "no-op" mode if "config.omnibus.chef_version"
  is not present in the Vagrantfile. [GH-3]
* Resolve `latest` to a real Chef version. This ensures the plugin does not
  attempt to re-install Chef on subsequent provisions. [GH-2]
* Validate user provided value for omnibus.chef_version is in fact a real Chef
  version. [GH-4]

You can install the updated plugin by running:

  vagrant plugin install vagrant-omnibus

Full CHANGELOG is available here:
https://github.com/schisamo/vagrant-omnibus/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#101-april-17-2013

--
Seth Chisamore
Software Development Engineer, Opscode, Inc.

Re: vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Mitchell Hashimoto
Seth,

This is awesome stuff. I actually want to move this sort of functionality into Vagrant core itself. Would you be interested in spearheading that effort?

With the recent 1.2 changes introducing "guest capabilities," I want more and more of this to show up in Vagrant core. For example, CFEngine installs itself.

If you're interested, check out the docs: http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/plugins/guest-capabilities.html

I'd love to talk to you more about it.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Seth Chisamore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Teo Hui Ming
Hi, a quick question here. Does anyone know if there are any
provisioner-less baseboxes available for download?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seth,
>
> This is awesome stuff. I actually want to move this sort of functionality
> into Vagrant core itself. Would you be interested in spearheading that
> effort?
>
> With the recent 1.2 changes introducing "guest capabilities," I want more
> and more of this to show up in Vagrant core. For example, CFEngine installs
> itself.
>
> If you're interested, check out the docs:
> http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/plugins/guest-capabilities.html
>
> I'd love to talk to you more about it.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Seth Chisamore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ohai,
>>
>> I just released vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1. For those that don't know,
>> vagrant-omnibus is Vagrant plugin that ensures the desired version of Chef
>> is installed via the platform-specific Omnibus packages from Opscode. This
>> proves very useful when using Vagrant with provisioner-less baseboxes OR
>> cloud images!
>>
>> Highlights from this release include:
>>
>> * Plugin now correctly operates in "no-op" mode if
>> "config.omnibus.chef_version"
>>   is not present in the Vagrantfile. [GH-3]
>> * Resolve `latest` to a real Chef version. This ensures the plugin does
>> not
>>   attempt to re-install Chef on subsequent provisions. [GH-2]
>> * Validate user provided value for omnibus.chef_version is in fact a real
>> Chef
>>   version. [GH-4]
>>
>> You can install the updated plugin by running:
>>
>>   vagrant plugin install vagrant-omnibus
>>
>> Full CHANGELOG is available here:
>>
>> https://github.com/schisamo/vagrant-omnibus/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#101-april-17-2013
>>
>> --
>> Seth Chisamore
>> Software Development Engineer, Opscode, Inc.
>> IRC, Twitter, GitHub: schisamo
>>
>> --

Huiming

Re: vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Seth Chisamore
Mitchell,
This is great, I completely agree this belongs in Vagrant core. I would love to make this happen for Chef, I'll begin looking code/docs over and we can chat next week at #ChefConf!

--

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Seth Chisamore <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="KHK8i4n_ZZ4J">schi...@...> wrote:
[...]

Currently the only regularly-published provisioner-less baseboxes I am aware are the Ubuntu ones form Canonical:
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/

AFAIK minus the vagrant user bits they are the same as the associated AMIs.

That being said I have been advocating heavily for this approach with both Mitchell and Patrick Debois (Veewee maintainer). I personally want to do my development/testing in JeOS. This is especially important when working on Chef cookbooks or Puppet modules that may be performing some low-level configuration.

A perfect world would have have distro maintainers publishing a basebox for every major release!

--

<<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="TTQznRMd0bYJ">mitchell....@...> wrote:

> Seth,
>
> This is awesome stuff. I actually want to move this sort of functionality
> into Vagrant core itself. Would you be interested in spearheading that
> effort?
>
> With the recent 1.2 changes introducing "guest capabilities," I want more
> and more of this to show up in Vagrant core. For example, CFEngine installs
> itself.
>
> If you're interested, check out the docs:
> http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/plugins/guest-capabilities.html
>
> I'd love to talk to you more about it.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Seth Chisamore <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="TTQznRMd0bYJ">schi...@...> wrote:
>>
>> Ohai,
>>
>> I just released vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1. For those that don't know,
>> vagrant-omnibus is Vagrant plugin that ensures the desired version of Chef
>> is installed via the platform-specific Omnibus packages from Opscode. This
>> proves very useful when using Vagrant with provisioner-less baseboxes OR
>> cloud images!
>>
>> Highlights from this release include:
>>
>> * Plugin now correctly operates in "no-op" mode if
>> "config.omnibus.chef_version"
>>   is not present in the Vagrantfile. [GH-3]
>> * Resolve `latest` to a real Chef version. This ensures the plugin does
>> not
>>   attempt to re-install Chef on subsequent provisions. [GH-2]
>> * Validate user provided value for omnibus.chef_version is in fact a real
>> Chef
>>   version. [GH-4]
>>
>> You can install the updated plugin by running:
>>
>>   vagrant plugin install vagrant-omnibus
>>
>> Full CHANGELOG is available here:
>>
>> https://github.com/schisamo/vagrant-omnibus/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#101-april-17-2013
>>
>> --
>> Seth Chisamore
>> Software Development Engineer, Opscode, Inc.
>> IRC, Twitter, GitHub: schisamo
>>
>> --

Huiming

Re: vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Teo Hui Ming
Thanks Seth!

I prefer a clean box for cookbook development too, so I ended up
creating VirtualBox VM myself by hand. It will be awesome if Opscode
can share out provisoner-less Vagrant baseboxes to public. :)

Anyway, I'm going to try out Ubuntu provisioner-less baseboxes
together with your omnibus plugin.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Seth Chisamore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Huiming,
> Currently the only regularly-published provisioner-less baseboxes I am aware
> are the Ubuntu ones form Canonical:
> http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/
>
> AFAIK minus the vagrant user bits they are the same as the associated AMIs.
>
> That being said I have been advocating heavily for this approach with both
> Mitchell and Patrick Debois (Veewee maintainer). I personally want to do my
> development/testing in JeOS. This is especially important when working on
> Chef cookbooks or Puppet modules that may be performing some low-level
> configuration.
>
> A perfect world would have have distro maintainers publishing a basebox for
> every major release!
>
> --
> Seth Chisamore
> Software Development Engineer, Opscode, Inc.
> IRC, Twitter, GitHub: schisamo
>
> On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:08:18 AM UTC-4, Huiming Teo wrote:
>>
>> Hi, a quick question here. Does anyone know if there are any
>> provisioner-less baseboxes available for download?
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Seth,
>> >
>> > This is awesome stuff. I actually want to move this sort of
>> > functionality
>> > into Vagrant core itself. Would you be interested in spearheading that
>> > effort?
>> >
>> > With the recent 1.2 changes introducing "guest capabilities," I want
>> > more
>> > and more of this to show up in Vagrant core. For example, CFEngine
>> > installs
>> > itself.
>> >
>> > If you're interested, check out the docs:
>> > http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/plugins/guest-capabilities.html
>> >
>> > I'd love to talk to you more about it.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Mitchell

>> > --
>> >

>> --
>> Huiming

Huiming

Re: vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Teo Hui Ming
Seth,

I just tried raring/current and quantal/current on
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/ .

Seems like they both have ruby and chef 10 installed, not really a
clean basebox :(

```
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-raring-32:~$ ruby --version
ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [i686-linux]
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-raring-32:~$ chef-solo --version
Chef: 10.12.0
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-raring-32:~$ which chef-solo
/usr/bin/chef-solo
```

--
Huiming

Re: vagrant-omnibus 1.0.1 released

Teo Hui Ming
FYI, I have created 4 Ubuntu provisioner-less Vagrant baseboxes
(precise,quantal, 32,64) using Veewee, and they are available for
download at:

https://github.com/teohm/vanilla-boxes

--
Huiming