vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mark Van De Vyver
Hi,
The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.


This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.  
I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure about RVM).
I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler installed the chef gem.
However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would work?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby libraries under tools such as rbenv?

Best wishes
Mark
  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mitchell Hashimoto
Mark,

The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands. 

Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under rbenv/RVM/etc. 

Best,
Mitchell


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.


This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.  
I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure about RVM).
I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler installed the chef gem.
However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would work?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby libraries under tools such as rbenv?

Best wishes
Mark
  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

David Cournapeau
Mitchell,

I am currently relying on rvm to install extra dependencies (like winrm stuff to use chef-solo on windows guest from a unix host). Will that still be supported ?

I am clueless as far as ruby goes, so am happy to have suggestion on how to do this better if any.

thanks,
David

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mark,

The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands. 

Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under rbenv/RVM/etc. 

Best,
Mitchell


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.


This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.  
I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure about RVM).
I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler installed the chef gem.
However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would work?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby libraries under tools such as rbenv?

Best wishes
Mark
  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
blog: http://cournape.wordpress.com
twitter: @cournape

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mitchell Hashimoto
David,

Installing Ruby gems into the isolated Vagrant environment is still supported.

Best,
Mitchell


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM, David Cournapeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mitchell,

I am currently relying on rvm to install extra dependencies (like winrm stuff to use chef-solo on windows guest from a unix host). Will that still be supported ?

I am clueless as far as ruby goes, so am happy to have suggestion on how to do this better if any.

thanks,
David


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mark,

The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands. 

Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under rbenv/RVM/etc. 

Best,
Mitchell


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.


This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.  
I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure about RVM).
I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler installed the chef gem.
However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would work?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby libraries under tools such as rbenv?

Best wishes
Mark
  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
blog: http://cournape.wordpress.com
twitter: @cournape

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mark Van De Vyver
In reply to this post by Mitchell Hashimoto
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
> cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via
> subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going
> to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands.
>

I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
the one Chef has run into.
Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using Omnibus[0]?

Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.

AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
plugin, some pain might be relived by the
rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is here[2]

Hope that helps?
Mark

[0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
[1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
[2]: https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146

> Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
> rbenv/RVM/etc.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>>
>> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>>
>> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure
>> about RVM).
>> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the
>> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler
>> installed the chef gem.
>> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would
>> work?
>>
>> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby
>> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Mark
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [hidden email].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mark Van De Vyver
sorry fo the missing link:

ominbus-ruby: https://github.com/opscode/omnibus-ruby

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
>> cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via
>> subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going
>> to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands.
>>
>
> I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
> the one Chef has run into.
> Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using Omnibus[0]?
>
> Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
> out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
> With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.
>
> AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
> rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
> If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
> plugin, some pain might be relived by the
> rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is here[2]
>
> Hope that helps?
> Mark
>
> [0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
> [1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
> [2]: https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146
>
>> Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
>> rbenv/RVM/etc.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mitchell
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>>> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>>>
>>> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>>> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure
>>> about RVM).
>>> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the
>>> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler
>>> installed the chef gem.
>>> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would
>>> work?
>>>
>>> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby
>>> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>> Mark
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>>> "Vagrant" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> [hidden email].
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [hidden email].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mitchell Hashimoto
In reply to this post by Mark Van De Vyver
Mark,

Inline.


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
> cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be via
> subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm going
> to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands.
>

I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
the one Chef has run into.
Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using Omnibus[0]?

Yes, there are many issues that the installer solves. My creation of installers is based heavily on Omnibus but I do not use the Opscode Omnibus system in any way to create the Vagrant installers.
 

Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.

I plan on addressing this by offering "tarballs" of other versions of Vagrant that can be run independently of the officially installed version. The Vagrant installers really just splat thousands of files down onto the filesystem. The location of these files doesn't matter (as long as they are all kept the same relative to each other).

Therefore, in addition to the primary Vagrant.pkg I have to install the latest version, I'll have "vagrant-1.0.6.tar.gz" available that you can put ANYWHERE on your filesystem, and just add that "bin" to the PATH, in order to run Vagrant 1.0.6.

Does this make sense?
 

AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
plugin, some pain might be relived by the
rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is here[2]

What is the function of the rbenv-vagrant plugin?

Best,
Mitchell 


Hope that helps?
Mark

[0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
[1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
[2]: https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146

> Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
> rbenv/RVM/etc.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>>
>> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>>
>> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not sure
>> about RVM).
>> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef. the
>> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler
>> installed the chef gem.
>> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this would
>> work?
>>
>> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby
>> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Mark
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [hidden email].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mark Van De Vyver
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Inline.
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mark,
>> >
>> > The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
>> > cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be
>> > via
>> > subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm
>> > going
>> > to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands.
>> >
>>
>> I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
>> the one Chef has run into.
>> Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using
>> Omnibus[0]?
>
>
> Yes, there are many issues that the installer solves. My creation of
> installers is based heavily on Omnibus but I do not use the Opscode Omnibus
> system in any way to create the Vagrant installers.
>
>>
>>
>> Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
>> out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
>> With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.
>
>
> I plan on addressing this by offering "tarballs" of other versions of
> Vagrant that can be run independently of the officially installed version.
> The Vagrant installers really just splat thousands of files down onto the
> filesystem. The location of these files doesn't matter (as long as they are
> all kept the same relative to each other).
>
> Therefore, in addition to the primary Vagrant.pkg I have to install the
> latest version, I'll have "vagrant-1.0.6.tar.gz" available that you can put
> ANYWHERE on your filesystem, and just add that "bin" to the PATH, in order
> to run Vagrant 1.0.6.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
>>
>>
>> AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
>> rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
>> If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
>> plugin, some pain might be relived by the
>> rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is
>> here[2]
>
>
> What is the function of the rbenv-vagrant plugin?
>
Hi Mitchell,

I suspect we'll have to wait and see for a definitive answer.
It is likely to depend on where rbenv is installed (system vs user)
My initial suspicion, based on Chef Omnibus issues/experience, is that
care will have to be taken over the path: where .rbenv/shims is
relative to where
vagrant is.  Or does the installer guaranteed that vagrant can't pick
up rbenv's shim/response
when it uses ruby, gems, etc.?

Anyway, this is getting a little hypothetical, you seem well aware of
the issue, and that was my reason for bring the topic up.

Looking forward to the 1.1 release.

Regards
Mark

> Best,
> Mitchell
>
>>
>> Hope that helps?
>> Mark
>>
>> [0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
>> [1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
>> [2]:
>> https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146
>>
>> > Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
>> > rbenv/RVM/etc.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Mitchell
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Hi,
>> >> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>> >> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>> >>
>> >> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>> >> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not
>> >> sure
>> >> about RVM).
>> >> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef.
>> >> the
>> >> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler
>> >> installed the chef gem.
>> >> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this
>> >> would
>> >> work?
>> >>
>> >> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby
>> >> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>> >>
>> >> Best wishes
>> >> Mark
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> Groups
>> >> "Vagrant" group.
>> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >> [hidden email].
>> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Vagrant" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [hidden email].
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [hidden email].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mitchell Hashimoto
Mark,

Top posting because I am lazy and it is late.

I'm still confused how you wish to see rbenv used with Vagrant 1.1+? If what you want is to run Vagrant against multiple versions of Ruby, that will never happen. Vagrant will always run against its own packaged version of Ruby, and I intend to use this to my advantage wherever possible (i.e. I can totally ignore Ruby 1.8 now). 

I don't see any benefit to running Vagrant against any other Ruby since the primary method of interacting with Vagrant will be via shelling out to `vagrant`. Plugins in 1.1+ are made easier because they can depend on certain Vagrant dependencies and features being available, etc.

But yes, more on this will emerge in the future. I've definitely thought a lot about it.

Best,
Mitchell


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Inline.
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mark,
>> >
>> > The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
>> > cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be
>> > via
>> > subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm
>> > going
>> > to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all, commands.
>> >
>>
>> I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
>> the one Chef has run into.
>> Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using
>> Omnibus[0]?
>
>
> Yes, there are many issues that the installer solves. My creation of
> installers is based heavily on Omnibus but I do not use the Opscode Omnibus
> system in any way to create the Vagrant installers.
>
>>
>>
>> Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
>> out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
>> With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.
>
>
> I plan on addressing this by offering "tarballs" of other versions of
> Vagrant that can be run independently of the officially installed version.
> The Vagrant installers really just splat thousands of files down onto the
> filesystem. The location of these files doesn't matter (as long as they are
> all kept the same relative to each other).
>
> Therefore, in addition to the primary Vagrant.pkg I have to install the
> latest version, I'll have "vagrant-1.0.6.tar.gz" available that you can put
> ANYWHERE on your filesystem, and just add that "bin" to the PATH, in order
> to run Vagrant 1.0.6.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
>>
>>
>> AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
>> rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
>> If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
>> plugin, some pain might be relived by the
>> rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is
>> here[2]
>
>
> What is the function of the rbenv-vagrant plugin?
>
Hi Mitchell,

I suspect we'll have to wait and see for a definitive answer.
It is likely to depend on where rbenv is installed (system vs user)
My initial suspicion, based on Chef Omnibus issues/experience, is that
care will have to be taken over the path: where .rbenv/shims is
relative to where
vagrant is.  Or does the installer guaranteed that vagrant can't pick
up rbenv's shim/response
when it uses ruby, gems, etc.?

Anyway, this is getting a little hypothetical, you seem well aware of
the issue, and that was my reason for bring the topic up.

Looking forward to the 1.1 release.

Regards
Mark

> Best,
> Mitchell
>
>>
>> Hope that helps?
>> Mark
>>
>> [0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
>> [1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
>> [2]:
>> https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146
>>
>> > Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
>> > rbenv/RVM/etc.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Mitchell
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Hi,
>> >> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>> >> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>> >>
>> >> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>> >> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not
>> >> sure
>> >> about RVM).
>> >> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of Chef.
>> >> the
>> >> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just Bundler
>> >> installed the chef gem.
>> >> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this
>> >> would
>> >> work?
>> >>
>> >> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus' ruby
>> >> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>> >>
>> >> Best wishes
>> >> Mark
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> Groups
>> >> "Vagrant" group.
>> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >> [hidden email].
>> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Vagrant" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [hidden email].
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [hidden email].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: vagrant (1.1+) gem deprecation

Mark Van De Vyver
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Top posting because I am lazy and it is late.
>
> I'm still confused how you wish to see rbenv used with Vagrant 1.1+?

Hi Mitchel,
I'm sure this will work fine. If there are wrinkles there is enough
tooling around to iron them out.
As you say, we'll no longer be able to run vagrant under ruby-X.
I used to do some ruby-fu in the vagrantfile as long as that works
there shouldn't be any issues.
If it doesn't then I'm sure there will be workarounds.

Regards
Mark

> If what
> you want is to run Vagrant against multiple versions of Ruby, that will
> never happen. Vagrant will always run against its own packaged version of
> Ruby, and I intend to use this to my advantage wherever possible (i.e. I can
> totally ignore Ruby 1.8 now).
>
> I don't see any benefit to running Vagrant against any other Ruby since the
> primary method of interacting with Vagrant will be via shelling out to
> `vagrant`. Plugins in 1.1+ are made easier because they can depend on
> certain Vagrant dependencies and features being available, etc.
>
> But yes, more on this will emerge in the future. I've definitely thought a
> lot about it.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mark,
>> >
>> > Inline.
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Mark Van De Vyver <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >>
>> >> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto
>> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> > Mark,
>> >> >
>> >> > The "library" usage of Vagrant will be deprecated. As I said in the
>> >> > cucumber-chef issue, the primary method of talking to Vagrant will be
>> >> > via
>> >> > subprocessing out to the binary itself. To make this even nicer, I'm
>> >> > going
>> >> > to be adding "--machine-readable" flags to most, if not all,
>> >> > commands.
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> I understand the issue your wrestling with it is the same AFAICT as
>> >> the one Chef has run into.
>> >> Any the solutions seem to be the same, I'm not sure if you are using
>> >> Omnibus[0]?
>> >
>> >
>> > Yes, there are many issues that the installer solves. My creation of
>> > installers is based heavily on Omnibus but I do not use the Opscode
>> > Omnibus
>> > system in any way to create the Vagrant installers.
>> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Anyway, by not having a gem version this does mean that,
>> >> out-of-the-box, only one version of vagrant can be installed/used.
>> >> With a gem you allow people to switch via rvm/rbenv/bundler.
>> >
>> >
>> > I plan on addressing this by offering "tarballs" of other versions of
>> > Vagrant that can be run independently of the officially installed
>> > version.
>> > The Vagrant installers really just splat thousands of files down onto
>> > the
>> > filesystem. The location of these files doesn't matter (as long as they
>> > are
>> > all kept the same relative to each other).
>> >
>> > Therefore, in addition to the primary Vagrant.pkg I have to install the
>> > latest version, I'll have "vagrant-1.0.6.tar.gz" available that you can
>> > put
>> > ANYWHERE on your filesystem, and just add that "bin" to the PATH, in
>> > order
>> > to run Vagrant 1.0.6.
>> >
>> > Does this make sense?
>> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> AFAICT this is not a show stopper, but it does seem to mean that a
>> >> rbenv-vagrant plugin may need to be written.
>> >> If that assessment is right and anyone does try their hand at such a
>> >> plugin, some pain might be relived by the
>> >> rbenv-path[0] and rbenv-plugin[1] plugins.  Example of their usage is
>> >> here[2]
>> >
>> >
>> > What is the function of the rbenv-vagrant plugin?
>> >
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> I suspect we'll have to wait and see for a definitive answer.
>> It is likely to depend on where rbenv is installed (system vs user)
>> My initial suspicion, based on Chef Omnibus issues/experience, is that
>> care will have to be taken over the path: where .rbenv/shims is
>> relative to where
>> vagrant is.  Or does the installer guaranteed that vagrant can't pick
>> up rbenv's shim/response
>> when it uses ruby, gems, etc.?
>>
>> Anyway, this is getting a little hypothetical, you seem well aware of
>> the issue, and that was my reason for bring the topic up.
>>
>> Looking forward to the 1.1 release.
>>
>> Regards
>> Mark
>>
>> > Best,
>> > Mitchell
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Hope that helps?
>> >> Mark
>> >>
>> >> [0]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-path
>> >> [1]: https://github.com/taqtiqa/rbenv-plugin
>> >> [2]:
>> >>
>> >> https://github.com/taqtiqa-mark/rbenv-installer/blob/f22c3673598c6ecb8d6a3fd84cf070d19c27c250/bin/rbenv-installer#L141-L146
>> >>
>> >> > Other than this, there should be no reason to ever run Vagrant under
>> >> > rbenv/RVM/etc.
>> >> >
>> >> > Best,
>> >> > Mitchell
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Hi,
>> >> >> The following comment indicates that Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer be
>> >> >> distributed as a ruby gem, i.e. installers only.
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> https://github.com/Atalanta/cucumber-chef/issues/46#issuecomment-12710471
>> >> >>
>> >> >> This sounds a little like Chef's Omnibus installer.
>> >> >> I think that one wrinkle will be when using Vagrant under rbenv (not
>> >> >> sure
>> >> >> about RVM).
>> >> >> I ran into this issue with the Chef Ominbus installed version of
>> >> >> Chef.
>> >> >> the
>> >> >> rbenv didn't know about the bin stubs.  At which point is just
>> >> >> Bundler
>> >> >> installed the chef gem.
>> >> >> However if Vagrant will no longer have a gem, I'm wondering how this
>> >> >> would
>> >> >> work?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to use such 'ominbus'
>> >> >> ruby
>> >> >> libraries under tools such as rbenv?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Best wishes
>> >> >> Mark
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> --
>> >> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> >> Groups
>> >> >> "Vagrant" group.
>> >> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >> >> [hidden email].
>> >> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > --
>> >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> > Groups
>> >> > "Vagrant" group.
>> >> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >> > [hidden email].
>> >> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> Groups
>> >> "Vagrant" group.
>> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >> [hidden email].
>> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Vagrant" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [hidden email].
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Vagrant" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [hidden email].
>>
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [hidden email].
>
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.