use nvidia docker as provider

Nimrod Morag
I'm part of a team developing a machine learning application.

currently we're using Vagrant with a Docker provider as a uniform dev environment.

We want to utilize the GPUs on our computers when we play around during development, and I found that Nvidia released nvidia-docker to enable that without needing to map the devices seperately in each host.

How can I use nvidia-docker as a provider for Vagrant?

If not possible, how can I dynamically retreive the device names on the host when running `vagrant up`?

(didn't specify versions because I will change to whatever version the solution requires)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com.

Re: use nvidia docker as provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
helllo

more info please.

are you on a Linux host with docker installed?

Can you share a sample minimal Vagrantfile you use?

Alvaro

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0eziMVws1MpttSwFcoQH35J09NhiyBjVy8%3D7HzvcAJ3j9A%40mail.gmail.com.

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 11:47:04 AM UTC+2, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
helllo

more info please.

are you on a Linux host with docker installed?
Yes. Ubuntu 16

Can you share a sample minimal Vagrantfile you use?

Vagrant.configure(2) do |config|
    config.vm.provider "docker" do |d|
         d.image = "aia/dev"
         d.has_ssh = true
         d.name = "vagrant_aia_dev"
         d.create_args = ["-dit"]
    end

    config.vm.network "public_network"
    config.ssh.forward_x11 = true

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Nimrod Morag <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0XHeRDW_CAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nimrod...@...> wrote:

--
This mailing list is governed under the HashiCorp Community Guidelines - <a href="https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;">https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html. Behavior in violation of those guidelines may result in your removal from this mailing list.

GitHub Issues: <a href="https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0XHeRDW_CAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">vagrant-up+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/5bfe8b6c-f36b-4fa8-be6d-bee8208b72a1%40googlegroups.com.

Re: use nvidia docker as provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
what happens if you replace

d.image = "aia/dev"

to the docker image you want to use?

Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0exMBrXEc-iDWNm%3D85nfxFVe9ep%3DVNRe48fGRO_jWthLBw%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: use nvidia docker as provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
to give the docker container access to devices like /dev/<..> you may need to use flags

so try to get that the comman line you need then you can tell vagrant to use that.

Alvaro

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email]m.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ez6G9eviBx5mfu4Q2ERtqvJ%2B6-jxKTSk9D3-%3DLccv04dA%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: use nvidia docker as provider

Nimrod Morag
The vagrantfile i posted in my last reply works fine with docker.

I am looking for a way to map to GPUs of the host without passing the `--device` argument
Since it needs the name of the device (eg /dev/nvidia0) on the host, and I want it entirely portable between different hosts

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Nimrod Morag <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="jj7U57deCQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nimrod...@...> wrote:

This mailing list is governed under the HashiCorp Community Guidelines - <a href="https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;">https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html. Behavior in violation of those guidelines may result in your removal from this mailing list.

GitHub Issues: <a href="https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/90d488ac-897b-41cb-ae95-e56025e0fdb4%40googlegroups.com.

[...]

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="jj7U57deCQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">vagrant-up+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/5bfe8b6c-f36b-4fa8-be6d-bee8208b72a1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/5bfe8b6c-f36b-4fa8-be6d-bee8208b72a1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/5bfe8b6c-f36b-4fa8-be6d-bee8208b72a1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/5bfe8b6c-f36b-4fa8-be6d-bee8208b72a1%40googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/288cddfb-1622-419c-be7e-9083954f989c%40googlegroups.com.