synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Bogdan Bezuz
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Ronan Amicel
Hi,

I've had this issue too, and suspect it's a bug with VirtualBox 4.3.10.

Regards

Ronan Amicel

On mer., avr. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Bogdan B <[hidden email]="mailto:[hidden email]">> wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Jerald Sheets
There is/was a huge issue with plugins too.  If you’re using the plugins

vagrant-hosts
vagrant-pe_build

then your vagrant will stop working properly.  I had to roll back to 1.4.3 and have to remain there until Vagrant or the plugins or both get updates to start working again.  When you’re doing a lot of Puppet work in Vagrant, those plugins are essential.

—jms

On Apr 2, 2014, at 10:47 AM, Ronan Amicel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've had this issue too, and suspect it's a bug with VirtualBox 4.3.10.

Regards

Ronan Amicel

On mer., avr. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Bogdan B <[hidden email]="mailto:[hidden email]">> wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Bogdan Bezuz
I'm certain the problem is with VirtualBox but in case you're having a plugin like vbguest that automatically upgrades your guest additions you're ... out of development.

I've followed/used Vagrant in the last 1.5 years and combined with VirtualBox is not as stable as I would like.
Introducing it in a company with 20 developers of different levels and skills would cause a lot of grief and havoc.

So, in case anyone uses it, I was wondering if combined with VMWare is more stable...

On 2 April 2014 15:47, Ronan Amicel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've had this issue too, and suspect it's a bug with VirtualBox 4.3.10.

Regards

Ronan Amicel

On mer., avr. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Bogdan B <[hidden email]="mailto:[hidden email]">> wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Nick Silkey
I have heard 4.3.10 is busted due to a VBox bug.

I would recommend a downgrade if you depend on Shared Folders.

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, Bogdan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Bogdan Bezuz
Hi Nick,

Thanks for pointing that out, will wait for a new VB guest release.

Cheers!

On 3 April 2014 13:36, Nick Silkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have heard 4.3.10 is busted due to a VBox bug.

I would recommend a downgrade if you depend on Shared Folders.

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, Bogdan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.5.1 and VirtualBox to 4.3.10 I'm having a lot of problems with the synced folders. I'm not able to list the folder content when I'm in VM console and my scripts seem to freeze.
If I update the GuestAdditions  to 4.3.10 then the mount fails.

I don't mind paying the license for the vmware plugin but is VMware VM handling this better ?

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

VMTrooper
Hello Bogdan.  I use Vagrant primarily with VMware Fusion and Workstation, and there aren't nearly as many incompatibility problems as there are with VirtualBox.

I'm not saying VirtualBox is terrible, but if you want more stability and consistency, invest in the VMware Plugin.

Re: synced folders - VMware vs VirtualBox

Bogdan Bezuz
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the input, I might give it a try.
My understanding is that it will work with VMware Player also as it's for personal use.
Do you know anything about that ?

Cheers.