bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

BaltoStar
My Vagrantfile kicks-off a shell script :

    config.vm.provision :shell, :path => 'bootstrap.sh'

I'm debugging bootstrap.sh and after each command completes, I'd like to pause for an input key before proceeding with the next command.

So I structured my bootstrap.sh like this :

    apt-get update -y
    read -n1 -s

However, when I run "vagrant up" , pauses for input never occur.

Apparently, vagrant blows right past the "read -n1 -s" line.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

Mitchell Hashimoto
The script has no stdin, Vagrant does not have a stdin for SSH so it just fails.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Vagrantfile kicks-off a shell script :
>
>     config.vm.provision :shell, :path => 'bootstrap.sh'
>
> I'm debugging bootstrap.sh and after each command completes, I'd like to
> pause for an input key before proceeding with the next command.
>
> So I structured my bootstrap.sh like this :
>
>     apt-get update -y
>     read -n1 -s
>
> However, when I run "vagrant up" , pauses for input never occur.
>
> Apparently, vagrant blows right past the "read -n1 -s" line.
>
> Anyone have a clue as to what is going on ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

BaltoStar
Hi Mitchell and thanks for the response.

How do I supply a stdin in my bootstrap.sh ?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, BaltoStar <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="IfEx2OBqXToJ">john.arth...@...> wrote:

> My Vagrantfile kicks-off a shell script :
>
>     config.vm.provision :shell, :path => 'bootstrap.sh'
>
> I'm debugging bootstrap.sh and after each command completes, I'd like to
> pause for an input key before proceeding with the next command.
>
> So I structured my bootstrap.sh like this :
>
>     apt-get update -y
>     read -n1 -s
>
> However, when I run "vagrant up" , pauses for input never occur.
>
> Apparently, vagrant blows right past the "read -n1 -s" line.
>
> Anyone have a clue as to what is going on ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

Mitchell Hashimoto
There is no stdin, Vagrant executes the commands over a SSH connection
with no stdin. It is not possible unless you wrap your call in another
shell which supplies stdin from a file or something.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mitchell and thanks for the response.
>
> How do I supply a stdin in my bootstrap.sh ?
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 8:24:23 AM UTC-7, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> The script has no stdin, Vagrant does not have a stdin for SSH so it just
>> fails.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My Vagrantfile kicks-off a shell script :
>> >
>> >     config.vm.provision :shell, :path => 'bootstrap.sh'
>> >
>> > I'm debugging bootstrap.sh and after each command completes, I'd like to
>> > pause for an input key before proceeding with the next command.
>> >
>> > So I structured my bootstrap.sh like this :
>> >
>> >     apt-get update -y
>> >     read -n1 -s
>> >
>> > However, when I run "vagrant up" , pauses for input never occur.
>> >
>> > Apparently, vagrant blows right past the "read -n1 -s" line.
>> >
>> > Anyone have a clue as to what is going on ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

BaltoStar
So for debugging, the best I can do is pause the script for a few seconds before continuing to the next command ?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM, BaltoStar <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="VqIdJ6hm85EJ">john.arth...@...> wrote:

> Hi Mitchell and thanks for the response.
>
> How do I supply a stdin in my bootstrap.sh ?
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 8:24:23 AM UTC-7, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> The script has no stdin, Vagrant does not have a stdin for SSH so it just
>> fails.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My Vagrantfile kicks-off a shell script :
>> >
>> >     config.vm.provision :shell, :path => 'bootstrap.sh'
>> >
>> > I'm debugging bootstrap.sh and after each command completes, I'd like to
>> > pause for an input key before proceeding with the next command.
>> >
>> > So I structured my bootstrap.sh like this :
>> >
>> >     apt-get update -y
>> >     read -n1 -s
>> >
>> > However, when I run "vagrant up" , pauses for input never occur.
>> >
>> > Apparently, vagrant blows right past the "read -n1 -s" line.
>> >
>> > Anyone have a clue as to what is going on ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

Mitchell Hashimoto
Yes, you should debug the scripts outside of Vagrant, then allow
Vagrant to automatically run them.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So for debugging, the best I can do is pause the script for a few seconds
> before continuing to the next command ?
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:26:11 PM UTC-7, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> There is no stdin, Vagrant executes the commands over a SSH connection
>> with no stdin. It is not possible unless you wrap your call in another
>> shell which supplies stdin from a file or something.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Mitchell and thanks for the response.
>> >
>> > How do I supply a stdin in my bootstrap.sh ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

BaltoStar
When you say debug outside of Vagrant , you are referring specifically to "vagrant up" right ?

After I've used Vagrant to create an instance , it should be possible to debug within VirtualBox with stdin , correct ?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM, BaltoStar <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="7NLYeTNmwiYJ">john.arth...@...> wrote:

> So for debugging, the best I can do is pause the script for a few seconds
> before continuing to the next command ?
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:26:11 PM UTC-7, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> There is no stdin, Vagrant executes the commands over a SSH connection
>> with no stdin. It is not possible unless you wrap your call in another
>> shell which supplies stdin from a file or something.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Mitchell and thanks for the response.
>> >
>> > How do I supply a stdin in my bootstrap.sh ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

Mitchell Hashimoto
Yeah I mean using a real shell with `vagrant ssh`, use that to debug
the provisoining script. Only allow Vagrant to run it automatically
once you're sure it is good.

Or, just `vagrant up` once then run `vagrant provision` over and over.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you say debug outside of Vagrant , you are referring specifically to
> "vagrant up" right ?
>
> After I've used Vagrant to create an instance , it should be possible to
> debug within VirtualBox with stdin , correct ?
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:35:21 PM UTC-7, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you should debug the scripts outside of Vagrant, then allow
>> Vagrant to automatically run them.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM, BaltoStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > So for debugging, the best I can do is pause the script for a few
>> > seconds
>> > before continuing to the next command ?

Re: bootstrap.sh : pause for input after each command

BaltoStar
That brings up another question  :

I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 with Oracle VM Virtual Box 4.2.16

cmd.exe
c:\vagrant-test> vagrant ssh
`ssh` executable not found in any directories in the %PATH% variable. Is an SSH client installed? Try installing Cygwin, MinGW or Git, all of which contain an SSH client. Or use the Putty SSH client with the following authentication information shown below:

Host: 127.0.0.1
Port: 2201
Username: vagrant
Private key: C:/Users/myuser/.vagrant.d/insecure_private_key

What exactly is vagrant looking for here ?  Actually I do have Git installed ...