Vagrant provisioning with standalone puppet

Vagrant provisioning with standalone puppet

Amit Vyas
Vagrant Community Professionals,

Issue: Vagrant provision is not applying my test pp file {Newbie}.

Environment:

    Windows 7 devlopment environment.
    VirtualBox 4.2.6
    Vagrant version 1.0.6.dev
    puppet 3.1.1

Explanation:

I have built vagrant-rhel56-32b box . Vagrant successfully ups this VM and I am able to ssh. When I do vagrant up / vagrant reload / vagrant provision I am not able to see my base.pp changes are applied.

base.pp contents

file {'testfile':
      path    => '/tmp/testfile',
      ensure  => present,
      mode    => 0640,
      content => "I'm a test file3.",
}

Note:

When I ssh in VM and say puppet apply -v - d /tmp/vagrant-puppet/manifests/base.pp I can see my base.pp changes are applied.

[vagrant@localhost tmp]$ puppet apply  /tmp/vagrant-puppet/manifests/base.pp
Notice: /Stage[main]//File[testfile]/content: content changed '{md5}a8b518cddc851290ab1e1bb6b0b41072' to '{md5}e0d659a82413e2a50cb74311d425b733'
Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.06 seconds

Attachments:

    vagrant provision output by enabling verbose with puppet options.
    Vagrantfile

Can you guys help me to find out what I have done incorrect.

Vagrantfile contents

# -*- mode: ruby -*-
# vi: set ft=ruby :

Vagrant::Config.run do |config|
  # All Vagrant configuration is done here. The most common configuration
  # options are documented and commented below. For a complete reference,
  # please see the online documentation at vagrantup.com.

  # Every Vagrant virtual environment requires a box to build off of.
  config.vm.box = "vagrnt-rhel56-32b-i686"

  # The url from where the 'config.vm.box' box will be fetched if it
  # doesn't already exist on the user's system.
  # config.vm.box_url = "http://domain.com/path/to/above.box"

  # Boot with a GUI so you can see the screen. (Default is headless)
  # config.vm.boot_mode = :gui

  # Assign this VM to a host-only network IP, allowing you to access it
  # via the IP. Host-only networks can talk to the host machine as well as
  # any other machines on the same network, but cannot be accessed (through this
  # network interface) by any external networks.
  # config.vm.network :hostonly, "192.168.33.10"

  # Assign this VM to a bridged network, allowing you to connect directly to a
  # network using the host's network device. This makes the VM appear as another
  # physical device on your network.
  # config.vm.network :bridged

  # Forward a port from the guest to the host, which allows for outside
  # computers to access the VM, whereas host only networking does not.
  # config.vm.forward_port 80, 8080

  # Share an additional folder to the guest VM. The first argument is
  # an identifier, the second is the path on the guest to mount the
  # folder, and the third is the path on the host to the actual folder.
  # config.vm.share_folder "v-data", "/vagrant_data", "../data"

  # Enable provisioning with Puppet stand alone.  Puppet manifests
  # are contained in a directory path relative to this Vagrantfile.
  # You will need to create the manifests directory and a manifest in
  # the file vagrnt-rhel56-32b-i686.pp in the manifests_path directory.
  #
  # An example Puppet manifest to provision the message of the day:
  #
  # # group { "puppet":
  # #   ensure => "present",
  # # }
  # #
  # # File { owner => 0, group => 0, mode => 0644 }
  # #
  # # file { '/etc/motd':
  # #   content => "Welcome to your Vagrant-built virtual machine!
  # #               Managed by Puppet.\n"
  # # }
  #
   config.vm.provision :puppet do |puppet|
        puppet.manifests_path = "manifests"
     puppet.manifest_file  = "base.pp"
     puppet.options = "--verbose --debug --noop"
   end

  # Enable provisioning with chef solo, specifying a cookbooks path, roles
  # path, and data_bags path (all relative to this Vagrantfile), and adding
  # some recipes and/or roles.
  #
  # config.vm.provision :chef_solo do |chef|
  #   chef.cookbooks_path = "../my-recipes/cookbooks"
  #   chef.roles_path = "../my-recipes/roles"
  #   chef.data_bags_path = "../my-recipes/data_bags"
  #   chef.add_recipe "mysql"
  #   chef.add_role "web"
  #
  #   # You may also specify custom JSON attributes:
  #   chef.json = { :mysql_password => "foo" }
  # end

  # Enable provisioning with chef server, specifying the chef server URL,
  # and the path to the validation key (relative to this Vagrantfile).
  #
  # The Opscode Platform uses HTTPS. Substitute your organization for
  # ORGNAME in the URL and validation key.
  #
  # If you have your own Chef Server, use the appropriate URL, which may be
  # HTTP instead of HTTPS depending on your configuration. Also change the
  # validation key to validation.pem.
  #
  # config.vm.provision :chef_client do |chef|
  #   chef.chef_server_url = "https://api.opscode.com/organizations/ORGNAME"
  #   chef.validation_key_path = "ORGNAME-validator.pem"
  # end
  #
  # If you're using the Opscode platform, your validator client is
  # ORGNAME-validator, replacing ORGNAME with your organization name.
  #
  # IF you have your own Chef Server, the default validation client name is
  # chef-validator, unless you changed the configuration.
  #
  #   chef.validation_client_name = "ORGNAME-validator"
end

Cheers,

Amit Vyas

vagrant_provison_output.txt (18K) Download Attachment

Re: Vagrant provisioning with standalone puppet

Brian Lalor
On Mar 13, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Amit Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:

     puppet.options = "--verbose --debug --noop"

The --noop is your problem.  You're telling Puppet to not actually do anything.

--
Brian Lalor