Vagrant ZFS plugin for instant up

Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting
Hi everybody,

I have just released v0.0.1 of my plugin to create a new vm instantly
using the clone feature of the ZFS filesystem. I have been working on it
on and off for a while. It is similar to JD Harrington's plugin, but
does things a bit differently.

The big win for me with this is to be able to create and boot a Ubuntu
Precice machine and login before 20 seconds has passed. Without ZFS the
same machine needs 1 minute and 26 seconds to become ready. When
developing Puppet modules this is awesome. :)

--
Best regards, Lars Tobias

Re: Vagrant ZFS plugin for instant up

On 2/5/13 8:56 PM, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting wrote:

> I have just released v0.0.1 of my plugin to create a new vm instantly
> using the clone feature of the ZFS filesystem.

If you would like to try it out, get the plugin at
https://github.com/larstobi/vagrant-zfs

--
Best regards, Lars Tobias

Re: Vagrant ZFS plugin for instant up

JD Harrington
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you would like to try it out, get the plugin at
> https://github.com/larstobi/vagrant-zfs

This looks really cool! We should both maybe give some thoughts to
naming to avoid conflicts. I can definitely see wanting to use both at
the same time since yours focuses on boxes and mine on shared folders.

On 2/5/13 9:25 PM, JD Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you would like to try it out, get the plugin at
>> https://github.com/larstobi/vagrant-zfs
>
> This looks really cool!

Thanks! Same to your plugin!

I also ran with the zfs gem at first, but I'm using MacZFS and it has a
too old and incompatible ZFS version.

> We should both maybe give some thoughts to
> naming to avoid conflicts. I can definitely see wanting to use both at
> the same time since yours focuses on boxes and mine on shared folders.

Yes, I thought so too. Do you have any suggestions?

--
Best regards, Lars Tobias

Re: Vagrant ZFS plugin for instant up

JD Harrington
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We should both maybe give some thoughts to
>> naming to avoid conflicts. I can definitely see wanting to use both at
>> the same time since yours focuses on boxes and mine on shared folders.
>
> Yes, I thought so too. Do you have any suggestions?

I suppose it might be best to keep it simple and do something like
vagrant-zfs-shared-clones and vagrant-zfs-box. I'm most likely going
to hold off on any further releases until the 1.1 plugin API is
available, which it sounds like will be sometime this month.

On a side note, do you have a ZFS partition on your SSD or are you
using ZFS on a file device? I'm pretty new to ZFS and haven't had an
opportunity to do any testing yet, but I'm curious as to what the
performance difference between the two is. Just curious as it's
obviously a lot more convenient on an OS X laptop to just create a ZFS
on a file device rather than slicing up the disk.

On 2/6/13 3:30 AM, JD Harrington wrote:

> I suppose it might be best to keep it simple and do something like
> vagrant-zfs-shared-clones and vagrant-zfs-box.

That sounds good.

> On a side note, do you have a ZFS partition on your SSD or are you
> using ZFS on a file device? I'm pretty new to ZFS and haven't had an
> opportunity to do any testing yet,

I have two disks in my laptop, one SSD and one harddisk:

larstobi@mactobi:~$ zpool list -o name,size
NAME                  SIZE
SSD                   152G
STORE                 696G

The SSD (240GB) has an OS X partition of 70GB and the rest is a
partition with a zpool. I have mounted the SSD filesystem mounted on my
home folder. The STORE zpool is on the entire harddisk.

larstobi@mactobi:~$ df -h
Filesystem     Size   Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3   70Gi   58Gi    12Gi    84%  /
SSD            19Gi   343Ki   19Gi     1%  /Users
SSD/larstobi   145Gi  125Gi   19Gi    87%  /Users/larstobi
SSD/homebrew   23Gi   3.8Gi   19Gi    17%  /usr/local
STORE          685Gi  682Gi  3.6Gi   100%  /Volumes/STORE

larstobi@mactobi:~$ zfs list
NAME                         USED  AVAIL  REFER MOUNTPOINT
SSD                          130G  19.7G   342K  /Users
SSD/homebrew                 3.82G 19.7G  3.82G  /usr/local
SSD/larstobi                 125G  19.7G   125G  /Users/larstobi

SSD/vagrant_lucid32          250M  19.7G   249M
                                /Users/larstobi/.vagrant.d/boxes/lucid32

SSD/vagrant_lucid32@zfs-vagrant_1360142465    18K      -   249M  -

SSD/vagrant_lucid32/zfs-vagrant_1360142465   410K  19.7G   250M
             /Users/larstobi/.vagrant.d/instances/zfs-vagrant_1360142465

SSD/vagrant_ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64        579M  19.7G   579M
              /Users/larstobi/.vagrant.d/boxes/ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64

STORE                                        682G  3.61G   682G
                                                          /Volumes/STORE

> but I'm curious as to what the
> performance difference between the two is. Just curious as it's
> obviously a lot more convenient on an OS X laptop to just create a ZFS
> on a file device rather than slicing up the disk.

I have no idea what the performance difference is, and I see your point
about convenience. I wish I could use ZFS for the OS X filesystem also,
but there are issues that makes that hard.

--
Best regards, Lars Tobias