Vagrant + VMware on Windows

Neil Lalonde
I work on Discourse, open source forum software, and we really really want as many people to be able to contribute as possible. We recommend people use vagrant with a box that we provide. It works great for people on a Mac, but Windows users have problems with the shared folder performance, which makes page load times unbelievably slow. I've heard VMware mentioned as a solution...

Vagrant 1.1 now supports VMware Fusion, but from what I could figure out from the confusing vmware site is that Fusion is their Mac OS X product.  Am I right about that?

So, is there a way that windows users can use our vagrant box with vmware?  Can they setup the box without vagrant?  Or can vagrant do it somehow?

(do windows developers use vagrant at all??)

Re: Vagrant + VMware on Windows

Mitchell Hashimoto
Neil,

First, there is actually a 2:1 ratio of Windows to Mac users for Vagrant. So yes, lots and lots of people use Vagrant on Windows. :)

But answering your major questions more directly: Vagrant + VMware Workstation is coming as well. No timelines.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Neil Lalonde <[hidden email]> wrote:
I work on Discourse, open source forum software, and we really really want as many people to be able to contribute as possible. We recommend people use vagrant with a box that we provide. It works great for people on a Mac, but Windows users have problems with the shared folder performance, which makes page load times unbelievably slow. I've heard VMware mentioned as a solution...

Vagrant 1.1 now supports VMware Fusion, but from what I could figure out from the confusing vmware site is that Fusion is their Mac OS X product.  Am I right about that?

So, is there a way that windows users can use our vagrant box with vmware?  Can they setup the box without vagrant?  Or can vagrant do it somehow?

(do windows developers use vagrant at all??)

Re: Vagrant + VMware on Windows

Neil Lalonde
Thanks for the info, Mitchell.