Vagrant/Fusion provider no longer applies specified IP, uses DHCP instead

Vagrant/Fusion provider no longer applies specified IP, uses DHCP instead

Adrian Simmons
A few weeks ago I had my first foray in making a vagrantfile using the vmware Fusion provider, after some hair pulling I managed to get a basic working file with an nfs mount after reading about vmware needing a private_network for nfs, in addition to the public_network I wanted for access to the vm via assorted LAN devices.

The network section of my vagrantfile ended up like this:
<code>
  ## Private network is required for NFS
  ## Fusion has 172.16.148.0 for private network
  config.vm.network :private_network, ip: "172.16.148.17"
  config.vm.network :public_network, ip: "192.168.0.17"
</code>

Started working on another vagrantfile today and found all sorts of things breaking, it turned out due to the vm not using the IP address I'd specified.

Went back to the earlier file described above and ran vagrant up again only to discover this is also now broken. All I did in the interim is update vagrant and the vmware-provider plugin.

It appears that the private_network is applied correctly, ifconfig on the vm reports eth1 as 172.16.148.17.
But eth0 has IP 192.168.94.133 and eth2 192.168.0.244.

The IP 192.168.0.17 specified in the vagrantfile isn't used, and running "VAGRANT_LOG=info vagrant up --provider=vmware_fusion" just shows vagrant using DHCP to obtain the IP instead. I've no idea why.

I swear this was working before, so it may be a bug, or it may be a change in the config is required. What do you need to do to make fusion use a fixed IP for the vm and stop using dhcp?

Re: Vagrant/Fusion provider no longer applies specified IP, uses DHCP instead

Mitchell Hashimoto
Adrian,

I don't think any networking stuff has changed, but this could be
anywhere in Vagrant or the VMware plugin. Can you please gist a DEBUG
level log so I can look further?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Adrian Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A few weeks ago I had my first foray in making a vagrantfile using the
> vmware Fusion provider, after some hair pulling I managed to get a basic
> working file with an nfs mount after reading about vmware needing a
> private_network for nfs, in addition to the public_network I wanted for
> access to the vm via assorted LAN devices.
>
> The network section of my vagrantfile ended up like this:
> <code>
>   ## Private network is required for NFS
>   ## Fusion has 172.16.148.0 for private network
>   config.vm.network :private_network, ip: "172.16.148.17"
>   config.vm.network :public_network, ip: "192.168.0.17"
> </code>
>
> Started working on another vagrantfile today and found all sorts of things
> breaking, it turned out due to the vm not using the IP address I'd
> specified.
>
> Went back to the earlier file described above and ran vagrant up again only
> to discover this is also now broken. All I did in the interim is update
> vagrant and the vmware-provider plugin.
>
> It appears that the private_network is applied correctly, ifconfig on the vm
> reports eth1 as 172.16.148.17.
> But eth0 has IP 192.168.94.133 and eth2 192.168.0.244.
>
> The IP 192.168.0.17 specified in the vagrantfile isn't used, and running
> "VAGRANT_LOG=info vagrant up --provider=vmware_fusion" just shows vagrant
> using DHCP to obtain the IP instead. I've no idea why.
>
> I swear this was working before, so it may be a bug, or it may be a change
> in the config is required. What do you need to do to make fusion use a fixed
> IP for the vm and stop using dhcp?

Re: Vagrant/Fusion provider no longer applies specified IP, uses DHCP instead

Adrian Simmons
Hi Mitchell,

I actually had a bit of a forehead slapping moment yesterday after realising that the DHCP call was probably the one ubuntu does for its default networking, so I need to set up the ubuntu guest with a fixed IP using a provisioner.

I'm using the 'official' vagrant precise64_vmware_fusion base box. So I assume this was my mistake, vagrant doesn't magically assign a fixed IP to ubuntu guests and that should be done with a provisioner – or am I wrong about that and it should work?! Confused.

Gist of vagrantfile contents and debug output is: https://gist.github.com/adrinux/6139141

Thanks.