Vagrant And Bridge Network

Amit Vyas
Dear Vagrant Professionals,

I am newbie to this new exciting world.

I am facing one challenge while setting up vagrant box with puppet.

Environment:

    Win 7 OS and virtual box 4.2.10, Vagrant 1.0.6 dev.

Problem:

    Laptop 1 : VM1

    I have build a vagrant base box with RHEL56 (to distribute within team inside my company).  This box has NAT adapter and Puppet agent. When this VM boots up it gets Virtual NIC wiht 10.0.*     series ip.

    Laptop 1 : VM2

    I have VM2 with RHEL56 non vagrant box with puppet master setup. This VM when boots up it gets Corporate IP.

    Puppet agent on VM1 is not able to communicate with puppet master as it has corporate ip.

What solutions I have tried
:

    Enabling bridged network in vagrantfile:

            I have enabled config.vm.network :bridged in Vagrantfile. By doing this now I have NAT and Bridged 2 adapters which gives me eth0 and eth1 to NICs.
            Still puppet nod eis not abel to communicate with puppet master as by default all communication happens with eth0 which is virtual NIC.

    Enabling bridged network in vagrantfile and removing NAT using virtual box GUI:

            If I remove NAT then my box boots up but vagrant throws error that ssh port forwarding will not work I need to setup config.ssh.port. But doing this also in vain still issue remain same.

Can some one guide me how to use bridge network to make puppet agent to use eth1 not eth0 or I can say to make box to access corporate ip's.

My Vagrantfile contents:

# -*- mode: ruby -*-
# vi: set ft=ruby :

Vagrant::Config.run do |config|
  # All Vagrant configuration is done here. The most common configuration
  # options are documented and commented below. For a complete reference,
  # please see the online documentation at vagrantup.com.

  # Every Vagrant virtual environment requires a box to build off of.
  config.vm.box = "vagrant-rhel56-32b-tstv-test"

  # The url from where the 'config.vm.box' box will be fetched if it
  # doesn't already exist on the user's system.
  # config.vm.box_url = "http://domain.com/path/to/above.box"

  # Boot with a GUI so you can see the screen. (Default is headless)
  # config.vm.boot_mode = :gui

  # Assign this VM to a bridged network, allowing you to connect directly to a
  # network using the host's network device. This makes the VM appear as another
  # physical device on your network.
  config.vm.network :bridged

  # Assign this VM to a host-only network IP, allowing you to access it
  # via the IP. Host-only networks can talk to the host machine as well as
  # any other machines on the same network, but cannot be accessed (through this
  # network interface) by any external networks.
  #config.vm.network :hostonly, "10.100.24.248"

  # Forward a port from the guest to the host, which allows for outside
  # computers to access the VM, whereas host only networking does not.
  # config.vm.forward_port 80, 8080

  #config.ssh.port =

  # Share an additional folder to the guest VM. The first argument is
  # an identifier, the second is the path on the guest to mount the
  # folder, and the third is the path on the host to the actual folder.
  # config.vm.share_folder "v-data", "/vagrant_data", "../data"

  # Enable provisioning with Puppet stand alone.  Puppet manifests
  # are contained in a directory path relative to this Vagrantfile.
  # You will need to create the manifests directory and a manifest in
  # the file base.pp in the manifests_path directory.
  #
  # An example Puppet manifest to provision the message of the day:
  #
  # # group { "puppet":
  # #   ensure => "present",
  # # }
  # #
  # # File { owner => 0, group => 0, mode => 0644 }
  # #
  # # file { '/etc/motd':
  # #   content => "Welcome to your Vagrant-built virtual machine!
  # #               Managed by Puppet.\n"
  # # }
  #
  config.vm.provision :puppet do |puppet|
     puppet.manifests_path = "manifests"
     puppet.manifest_file  = "base.pp"
     puppet.options = "--verbose --debug"
  end

  # Enable provisioning with chef solo, specifying a cookbooks path, roles
  # path, and data_bags path (all relative to this Vagrantfile), and adding
  # some recipes and/or roles.
  #
  # config.vm.provision :chef_solo do |chef|
  #   chef.cookbooks_path = "../my-recipes/cookbooks"
  #   chef.roles_path = "../my-recipes/roles"
  #   chef.data_bags_path = "../my-recipes/data_bags"
  #   chef.add_recipe "mysql"
  #   chef.add_role "web"
  #
  #   # You may also specify custom JSON attributes:
  #   chef.json = { :mysql_password => "foo" }
  # end

  # Enable provisioning with chef server, specifying the chef server URL,
  # and the path to the validation key (relative to this Vagrantfile).
  #
  # The Opscode Platform uses HTTPS. Substitute your organization for
  # ORGNAME in the URL and validation key.
  #
  # If you have your own Chef Server, use the appropriate URL, which may be
  # HTTP instead of HTTPS depending on your configuration. Also change the
  # validation key to validation.pem.
  #
  # config.vm.provision :chef_client do |chef|
  #   chef.chef_server_url = "https://api.opscode.com/organizations/ORGNAME"
  #   chef.validation_key_path = "ORGNAME-validator.pem"
  # end
  #
  # If you're using the Opscode platform, your validator client is
  # ORGNAME-validator, replacing ORGNAME with your organization name.
  #
  # IF you have your own Chef Server, the default validation client name is
  # chef-validator, unless you changed the configuration.
  #
  #   chef.validation_client_name = "ORGNAME-validator"
end

Cheers,

Amit Vyas