Vagrant 1.6.1, OSX, vmware fusion and docker

Vagrant 1.6.1, OSX, vmware fusion and docker

Andrew Diller
Hello, playing with 1.6.1 and docker, on a Mac using Fusion.

vagrant-vmware-fusion (2.4.1)

But it seems to have issues with your base box? Are there any other ready-made boxes available to quickly start to play with docker/vagrant integration and vmware?

[14:00][dillera@MassivePro:~/fusion/vagrant/docker-vagrant-1]$ vagrant up --provider=docker

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'docker' provider...

==> default: Docker host is required. One will be created if necessary...

    default: Vagrant will now create or start a local VM to act as the Docker

    default: host. You'll see the output of the `vagrant up` for this VM below.

    default:

    default: Box 'mitchellh/boot2docker' could not be found. Attempting to find and install...

    default: Box Provider: vmware_desktop, vmware_fusion, vmware_workstation

    default: Box Version: >= 0

    default: Loading metadata for box 'mitchellh/boot2docker'

    default: URL: https://vagrantcloud.com/mitchellh/boot2docker

    default: Adding box 'mitchellh/boot2docker' (v0.8.0) for provider: vmware_desktop

    default: Downloading: https://vagrantcloud.com/mitchellh/boot2docker/version/1/provider/vmware_desktop.box

    default: Successfully added box 'mitchellh/boot2docker' (v0.8.0) for 'vmware_desktop'!

    default: Cloning VMware VM: 'mitchellh/boot2docker'. This can take some time...

    default: Checking if box 'mitchellh/boot2docker' is up to date...

    default: Verifying vmnet devices are healthy...

    default: Preparing network adapters...

    default: Starting the VMware VM...

    default: Waiting for the VM to finish booting...

    default: The machine is booted and ready!

    default: Forwarding ports...

    default: -- 4243 => 4243

    default: -- 22 => 2222

    default: Configuring network adapters within the VM...

==> default: Syncing folders to the host VM...

    default: Waiting for HGFS kernel module to load...

The HGFS kernel module was not found on the running virtual machine.

This must be installed for shared folders to work properly. Please

install the VMware tools within the guest and try again. Note that

the VMware tools installation will succeed even if HGFS fails

to properly install. Carefully read the output of the VMware tools

installation to verify the HGFS kernel modules were installed properly.

Re: Vagrant 1.6.1, OSX, vmware fusion and docker

Andrew Diller
Also, I just copied the little sample vagrant init file you have on the page: https://www.vagrantup.com/blog/feature-preview-vagrant-1-6-docker-dev-environments.html

Re: Vagrant 1.6.1, OSX, vmware fusion and docker

Andrew Diller
Seeing that it's just shared folders, how do you know what folders are trying to be shared, so that I can disable them? Or are there some hidden shares in this docker/osx integration?

Re: Vagrant 1.6.1, OSX, vmware fusion and docker

VMTrooper
Hello Andrew,

I have successfully used the Docker provisioner with hashicorp/precise64 on the latest versions of Vagrant (1.6.2?) and VMware Fusion plugin (2.4.1).

The only folder that automatically gets shared is the folder that the Vagrantfile resides on in the physical host.

One thing to note, I did have to install apparmor when the box finished booting before I could use Docker.  Other images on Vagrant Cloud may already have apparmor installed.

-Trevor