VMware Fusion Default Precise Box KVM OpenStack Challenges

VMware Fusion Default Precise Box KVM OpenStack Challenges

VMTrooper
Not a question, but FYI for anybody running into this brick wall with OpenStack.

The default VMware Fusion box based on Precise (Ubuntu 12.04) has a problem running nested x64 VMs even though the vhv.enable setting is enabled in my vmx files.

kvm-ok gives the following fun status:

vagrant@client:~$ sudo kvm-ok
INFO: /dev/kvm does not exist <--Umm, what?
HINT:   sudo modprobe kvm_intel
INFO: Your CPU supports KVM extensions <--gee, thanks
KVM acceleration can be used <--cool story bro, but you just said kvm does not exist?!?!

also, lsmod | grep kvm does not display kvm or kvm_intel

I verified that Ubuntu 13.04 can successfully install Windows 2008 R2 (Windows on Linux??? blasphemy, yes i know).  Since Grizzly supports 13.04, I'll be making a custom box to continue my OpenStack testing.  If it's stable and performs well, I'll try to upload it to the http://www.vagrantbox.es/ site

Happy 'Stacking
-Trevor

Re: VMware Fusion Default Precise Box KVM OpenStack Challenges

pronix pronix
i use https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-libvirt with kvm_intel nested=1 which support nested virtualization.
way for testing any clouds

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:40:53 PM UTC+2, Trevor Roberts wrote:
[...]

Simon McCartney
I've just been using the cloudgear demo to get a working OpenStack in a VM (https://github.com/moniker-dns/cloudgear) it's been working fine on precise on VirtualBox on OSX (you mentioned Fusion, so I'm not sure why I'm chipping in, other than to show a simple way of getting an OpenStack env in a Vagrant VM)

git clone [hidden email]:moniker-dns/cloudgear.git
cd cloudgear
vagrant up

done & done.

Simon.

On 14 June 2013 10:35, pronix pronix <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

M: +44 7710 836 915