VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

12

VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Mitchell Hashimoto
Hello all,

If you haven't heard, VMware Fusion 6 and VMware Workstation 10 were
released today. We've been working closely with VMware to ensure that
Vagrant also works with these new versions as soon as possible after
release. We're now making these available.

Due to upcoming new features and the work required to make these
compatible, we're charging an upgrade price, just as VMware does, for
the plugin. We believe this is fair due to the work it takes to keep
compatibility and also because VMware also charges for their new
products. The upgrade price will be $39 per seat. If you already own
the VMware plugin and wish to upgrade, visit:

http://license.hashicorp.com/upgrade/vmware2013

NOTE: If you purchased the plugin within the last 30 days, you've been
automatically upgraded to the latest license. Simply redownload your
license file and you'll be compatible with the latest versions of the
VMware software.

If you don't own the VMware plugin yet, you can just purchase from the
VMware page (http://www.vagrantup.com/vmware) and you'll get the
latest version compatible with the latest software.

Note that even if you don't want to upgrade, you should still install
the latest plugin, as it includes new bug fixes and is still
compatible with older versions of VMware. You can do this by
reinstalling the plugin. For example, for Fusion:

vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-fusion

While the release today only contains updated compatibility with the
new VMware releases, future versions will include new features (most
notably linked clone support). These will not come with upgrade costs,
as they'll target Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 alone.

Thanks for all the support!

ep

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

ep
Hello,
running VMWare plugin obtained an hour ago —
    ~ λ vagrant plugin list
    vagrant-vmware-workstation (2.0.1)
I get
    This provider only works with VMware Workstation 9.x. You have
Workstation ''. Please install the proper version of VMware
Workstation and try again.
Running 64-bit VMWare Workstation v10 on Arch Linux.
(Now trying it with v9).

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:56:55 AM UTC+2, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
[...]

Mitchell Hashimoto-2
Hi,

Can you attach VAGRANT_LOG=debug output?

ep

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

ep
Here is the output with VAGRANT_LOG=debug -- http://nn.lv/58c3.
Please note that I'm running it on Ubuntu LTS 12.04 with VMWare v10
installed and vagrant installed from
http://downloads.vagrantup.com/tags/v1.3.0.

--
Kindest regards.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you attach VAGRANT_LOG=debug output?
>
> Thanks,
> Mitchell
>

> On September 5, 2013 at 10:28:36 PM, [hidden email] ([hidden email])
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> running VMWare plugin obtained an hour ago --
>     ~ λ vagrant plugin list
>     vagrant-vmware-workstation (2.0.1)
> I get
>
>     This provider only works with VMware Workstation 9.x. You have
>     Workstation ''. Please install the proper version of VMware
>     Workstation and try again.
>
> Running 64-bit VMWare Workstation v10 on Arch Linux.
> (Now trying it with v9).
>
> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:56:55 AM UTC+2, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> If you haven't heard, VMware Fusion 6 and VMware Workstation 10 were
>> released today. We've been working closely with VMware to ensure that
>> Vagrant also works with these new versions as soon as possible after
>> release. We're now making these available.
>>
>> Due to upcoming new features and the work required to make these
>> compatible, we're charging an upgrade price, just as VMware does, for
>> the plugin. We believe this is fair due to the work it takes to keep
>> compatibility and also because VMware also charges for their new
>> products. The upgrade price will be $39 per seat. If you already own
>> the VMware plugin and wish to upgrade, visit:
>>
>> http://license.hashicorp.com/upgrade/vmware2013
>>
>> NOTE: If you purchased the plugin within the last 30 days, you've been
>> automatically upgraded to the latest license. Simply redownload your
>> license file and you'll be compatible with the latest versions of the
>> VMware software.
>>
>> If you don't own the VMware plugin yet, you can just purchase from the
>> VMware page (http://www.vagrantup.com/vmware) and you'll get the
>> latest version compatible with the latest software.
>>
>> Note that even if you don't want to upgrade, you should still install
>> the latest plugin, as it includes new bug fixes and is still
>> compatible with older versions of VMware. You can do this by
>> reinstalling the plugin. For example, for Fusion:
>>
>> vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-fusion
>>
>> While the release today only contains updated compatibility with the
>> new VMware releases, future versions will include new features (most
>> notably linked clone support). These will not come with upgrade costs,
>> as they'll target Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 alone.
>>
>> Thanks for all the support!
>>
>> Best,
>> Mitchell

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Mark Mandel

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Note that even if you don't want to upgrade, you should still install
the latest plugin, as it includes new bug fixes and is still
compatible with older versions of VMware. You can do this by
reinstalling the plugin. For example, for Fusion:

Quick dumb question - what fixes are included in the update?

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

VMTrooper
Hello Mitchell,

I am also getting the same error with Ubuntu LTS 12.04, VMware Workstation 10, Vagrant 1.3.0, and VMware Plugin 2.0.3

Here is the gist link: https://gist.github.com/VMTrooper/6490312

Thanks,
Trevor

On September 5, 2013 at 10:28:36 PM, <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5NkVhP9Oj3YJ">e...@... (<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5NkVhP9Oj3YJ">e...@...) wrote:

[...]

FYI, when I upgraded Vagrant on my MBP this morning, i noticed there was a new version of the VMware Plugin (2.0.4).  I tried upgrading my Linux workstation environment to it, but it is still having the version check error.

Vagrant and the VMware Fusion plugin are running fine on my MacBook Pro, though, with Fusion 6, Vagrant 1.3.1, and VMware Plugin 2.0.4

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:29:37 PM UTC-7, Trevor Roberts wrote:
[...]

Michael Mac-Vicar
I bought the license last week on september 4 and can't run vagrant....

You're using a license that only allows you to use Fusion 5.x.
Please upgrade your license to unlock Fusion 6.x features and support
within the Vagrant VMware Fusion plugin. You can upgrade
your license by going to the following URL:

http://license.hashicorp.com/upgrade/vmware2013

And in the purchase email:

Your license file to activate 'Vagrant VMware Fusion 6 Provider' is ready!

it seems is not ready... downloading the license again doesn't work.

best,
Michael

On Monday, 9 September 2013 12:03:12 UTC-3, Trevor Roberts wrote:
[...]

Michael,

Can you email me at [hidden email] with your order number? I'll make sure this gets fixed up right away.

On September 9, 2013 at 3:18:44 PM, Michael Mac-Vicar ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mitchell! after seeing your other email I downloaded the license one more time and now it is working fine.
Best,
Michael Mac-Vicar

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm having exactly the same issue as well.

Vagrant 1.3.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Vmware Workstation 10.

Debug output:

Did anyone work out how to resolve this?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Trevor Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

E: [hidden email]
T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
W: www.compoundtheory.com

2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Mark Mandel
I'm guessing this is the issue:

vmware-vmx -v returns the version, but with blank lines around it.

I'm guessing it should be trimmed, or you could use:
vmware -v

Which doesn't have the blank lines.

Mark

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Mark Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mark,

VMware Fusion reads versions the same way and it works there. So I don’t think this is the issue unfortunately.

On September 11, 2013 at 4:25:02 AM, Mark Mandel ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Then the other thing I can think of, is that I had the vmware 10 beta installed on this machine at one point, and this is the same error I got when trying to run vagrant against that.  Could that somehow be related?

(Please let me know if I'm better off sending this as a support request)

I have an upgraded licence for vmware 10, so I also find the error message confusing.

Don't know if it matters, but I am running the trial of vmware 10. I wanted to make sure vagrant was working with it, before committing to a purchase. Would that affect things?

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from my mobile doohickey

On 12/09/2013 3:05 AM, "Mitchell Hashimoto" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I initially had the VMware Workstation 10 Trial installed, but I licensed it after running into this problem initially.  I am still getting the error after applying the license.

E: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="p8wB1uPH8ogJ">mark....@...
T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
W: www.compoundtheory.com

2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

--
E: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="p8wB1uPH8ogJ">mark....@...
T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
W: www.compoundtheory.com

2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

@beddari
Just wanted to chime in and add myself to the list.

Ubuntu 12.04, Vagrant 1.3.1, Workstation 10 and plugin version 2.0.4. License bought less than 30 days ago, redownloaded and added again (to which there were no instructions, so I scrapped my .vagrant folder to make sure)

Exactly the same error and debug log as the earlier posts. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon :-)

best,
Jan Ivar Beddari

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:34:09 PM UTC+2, Trevor Roberts wrote:
I initially had the VMware Workstation 10 Trial installed, but I licensed it after running into this problem initially.  I am still getting the error after applying the license.

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Mark Mandel
I hate to be annoying - but can we at least get an ETA on this fix? Or at least confirmation that it's being worked on?

Seems like it's a pretty common issue.

Mark

ep

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Bob Ziuchkovski
I'm hitting this issue as well.  I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit using Vagrant 1.3.1, VMWare Workstation 10.0 trial, and the vagrant-vmware-workstation 2.0.4 plugin.  Relevant debug log excerpts are below.  You're probably already aware, but that version info is being spit out on stderr, not stdout, in case that has changed from 9.x to 10.x (I have no idea).

 INFO subprocess: Starting process: ["/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx", "-v"]
DEBUG subprocess: Selecting on IO
DEBUG subprocess: stderr:
VMware Workstation Information:
VMware Workstation 10.0.0 build-1295980 Release

DEBUG subprocess: Waiting for process to exit. Remaining to timeout: 32000
DEBUG subprocess: Exit status: 0
 INFO vmware_driver: Detected VMware version:
ERROR warden: Error occurred: This provider only works with VMware Workstation 9.x. You have

E: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="EAo1UuUKq68J">mark....@...
T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
W: www.compoundtheory.com

2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

Re: VMware Fusion 6 and Workstation 10 Compatible Plugins Now Available

Mitchell Hashimoto-2
Hi all,

I’ve actually fixed the issue with Workstation 10 version detection. However, the machine that builds the Workstation/Fusion plugins is currently broken and I’m working on fixing that now. Once that is done, a new release will be out that fixes this.