VMWare Fusion + Vagrant + OSX Host?

Charles Chin
Has anyone successfully gotten a VMWare fusion box on an OSX host to boot up properly?

I've been struggling for weeks now to try and get it working. My main issue is that when the box boots up (CentOS 6.3 if it matters), it hangs on trying to log into the box.

I've seen a few threads and tried some things but have never gotten it to boot up successfully. Also when the box DOES boot up, it has no internet access.

Any thoughts?

Re: VMWare Fusion + Vagrant + OSX Host?

Will Froning
Hello Charles,

On 10/29/13, 11:15 AM, Charles Chin wrote:

> Has anyone successfully gotten a VMWare fusion box on an OSX host to
> boot up properly?
>
> I've been struggling for weeks now to try and get it working. My main
> issue is that when the box boots up (CentOS 6.3 if it matters), it hangs
> on trying to log into the box.
>
> I've seen a few threads and tried some things but have never gotten it
> to boot up successfully. Also when the box DOES boot up, it has no
> internet access.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you are running Fusion 6, then you need to enable the gui on the
first boot. After that you don't need the gui. It has to do with the new
features/format going from version 5 to 6. I don't know of a way to fix
it without updating the source box to have the newer format.

config.vm.provider :vmware_fusion do |vm|
  # Don't boot with headless mode
    vm.gui = true

end

Good luck,
Will

--
Will Froning
Unix SysAdmin

Re: VMWare Fusion + Vagrant + OSX Host?

VMTrooper
Hello Will,

Is this related to boxes built with VMware Fusion 6 VMware tools?  I'm using older boxes with VMware Fusion 6, and I haven't seen the hanging issue.

Thanks,
Trevor

On 10/29/13, 5:49 PM, Trevor Roberts wrote:
> Hello Will,
>
> Is this related to boxes built with VMware Fusion 6 VMware tools?  I'm
> using older boxes with VMware Fusion 6, and I haven't seen the hanging
> issue.

All the public boxes that I tested require me to first enable the gui to
click on "Upgrade" from the "Would you like to upgrade this virtual
machine?" prompt (pict attached).

This doesn't happen on boxes I've created, just ones that seem to have
been created with an older version of fusion/workstation.

Thanks,
Will

> Thanks,
> Trevor
>
> On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:40:02 AM UTC-7, Will Froning wrote:
>
>     Hello Charles,
>
>     On 10/29/13, 11:15 AM, Charles Chin wrote:
>     > Has anyone successfully gotten a VMWare fusion box on an OSX host to
>     > boot up properly?
>     >
>     > I've been struggling for weeks now to try and get it working. My main
>     > issue is that when the box boots up (CentOS 6.3 if it matters), it
>     hangs
>     > on trying to log into the box.
>     >
>     > I've seen a few threads and tried some things but have never
>     gotten it
>     > to boot up successfully. Also when the box DOES boot up, it has no
>     > internet access.
>     >
>     > Any thoughts?
>
>     If you are running Fusion 6, then you need to enable the gui on the
>     first boot. After that you don't need the gui. It has to do with the
>     new
>     features/format going from version 5 to 6. I don't know of a way to fix
>     it without updating the source box to have the newer format.
>
>     config.vm.provider :vmware_fusion do |vm|
>       # Don't boot with headless mode
>         vm.gui = true
>
>     end
>
>     Good luck,
>     Will
>

>     --
>     Will Froning
>     Unix SysAdmin
>     [hidden email]
>     MSN: [hidden email]
>     YIM: will_froning
>     AIM: willfroning

Will Froning
Unix SysAdmin
[hidden email]
MSN: [hidden email]
YIM: will_froning
AIM: willfroning

vagrant-up-fusion6.png (1M) Download Attachment