VM suddenly shutting down -- "Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed by remote host"

VM suddenly shutting down -- "Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed by remote host"

Débora
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Vagrant VM, but I'm not even sure where the problem is. Could be with VirtualBox, I suppose.
I can boot and provision the VM without any problems, and I can ssh into it and do stuff (cd into directories, start the Rails console, etc). But as soon as I start the Rails server and try to access the web app from the host machine, the VM simply shuts down, and I get 2 messages:

Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.

And then the VM is in aborted state. I can fire it up again and repeat the whole thing, but the same crash keeps happening, and my app is completely unusable.

I tried looking into ~/VirtualBox VMs/VM_NAME/VBox.log, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. I don't know if there are other log files I should be looking at; I tried googling it but didn't find anything.

I also read a GitHub thread that seems it could be related to my issue (https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/516) and tried doing some of the things people have suggested, also without any luck.

I don't know where to go from here. Do you have any pointers that could help?

I don't want to flood the question with useless information, so I didn't attach any logs. Would that be helpful?

I'm on a Mac (Mountain Lion), using Vagrant 1.2.1 (updated today) and VirtualBox 4.2.10. On the VM, I've installed (through Puppet), Ruby 1.9.3, and web-related stuff (Redis, Nginx, MySQL, etc).

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Débora.

Re: VM suddenly shutting down -- "Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed by remote host"

Mitchell Hashimoto
Debora,

I don't know what the issue could be yet but this is 100% a VirtualBox issue. At the point where the issue happens Vagrant is long done setting things up. Of course, if there is a way that Vagrant can avoid this issue by configuring the VM in a different way, then I'm happy to look into it.