VM inside VM

Vasumathi Jayakumar
I have a virutal machine(ubuntu 12.04) spinned up using vagrant . Is it possible to run up a virtual machine inside that VM?

All suggestions and guidance are welcome :)

Re: VM inside VM

Cassiano Leal

I don’t think you can run a full-blown VM inside that VM, but an (even better, probably) alternative would be an LXC [0], which you can spin up using vagrant-lxc [1].

This blog post [2] has a section called "Usage on OS X / Windows” that should give you pointers (never mind the title, it will point you towards the kind of inception VM you’re looking for).

[0] http://lxc.sourceforge.net

[1] https://github.com/fgrehm/vagrant-lxc

[2] http://fabiorehm.com/blog/2013/04/28/lxc-provider-for-vagrant/

--
Cassiano Leal
http://cassianoleal.com

On July 18, 2013 at 09:13:31, Vasumathi Jayakumar ([hidden email]) wrote:

I have a virutal machine(ubuntu 12.04) spinned up using vagrant . Is it possible to run up a virtual machine inside that VM?

All suggestions and guidance are welcome :)

Re: VM inside VM

Mitchell Hashimoto
As a fun aside: VMware supports running VMware inside VMware, quite
well actually. But its more of a neat experiment than something I'd
recommend someone does...

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Cassiano Leal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don’t think you can run a full-blown VM inside that VM, but an (even
> better, probably) alternative would be an LXC [0], which you can spin up
> using vagrant-lxc [1].
>

> This blog post [2] has a section called "Usage on OS X / Windows” that
> should give you pointers (never mind the title, it will point you towards
> the kind of inception VM you’re looking for).
>

> [0] http://lxc.sourceforge.net
>
> [1] https://github.com/fgrehm/vagrant-lxc
>
> [2] http://fabiorehm.com/blog/2013/04/28/lxc-provider-for-vagrant/
>

> --
> Cassiano Leal
> http://cassianoleal.com
> http://twitter.com/cassianoleal
>
> On July 18, 2013 at 09:13:31, Vasumathi Jayakumar
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I have a virutal machine(ubuntu 12.04) spinned up using vagrant . Is it
> possible to run up a virtual machine inside that VM?
>

> All suggestions and guidance are welcome :)

Re: VM inside VM

Andrew Melo
When doing some OpenStack testing, I had a VirtualBox version of OpenStack that was running KVM slaves inside of the VB container. Needless to slay, the inner slave was too slow to do anything interesting :)

Cheers,
andrew

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
As a fun aside: VMware supports running VMware inside VMware, quite
well actually. But its more of a neat experiment than something I'd
recommend someone does...

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Cassiano Leal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t think you can run a full-blown VM inside that VM, but an (even
> better, probably) alternative would be an LXC [0], which you can spin up
> using vagrant-lxc [1].
>

> This blog post [2] has a section called "Usage on OS X / Windows” that
> should give you pointers (never mind the title, it will point you towards
> the kind of inception VM you’re looking for).
>

> [0] http://lxc.sourceforge.net
>
> [1] https://github.com/fgrehm/vagrant-lxc
>
> [2] http://fabiorehm.com/blog/2013/04/28/lxc-provider-for-vagrant/
>

> --
> Cassiano Leal
> http://cassianoleal.com
> http://twitter.com/cassianoleal
>
> On July 18, 2013 at 09:13:31, Vasumathi Jayakumar
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I have a virutal machine(ubuntu 12.04) spinned up using vagrant . Is it
> possible to run up a virtual machine inside that VM?
>

> All suggestions and guidance are welcome :)

Andrew Melo

Re: VM inside VM

VMTrooper
Yes, it is possible to run a VM within a VM.  As previously noted, performance will not be great, but you can test basic functionality such as deploying an image with OpenStack.

If you are using VMware Fusion, and you want to run an x64 VM within your Vagrant VM, you will need to add code similar to the following to your Vagrantfile:

vmname.vm.provider :vmware_fusion do |v|
 v.vmx["vhv.enable"] = "TRUE" #IMPORTANT: edit the VM's VMX file to support x64 nested VMs (vInception: VMs within VMs)

    end

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:11:47 AM UTC-7, Vasumathi Jayakumar wrote:
I have a virutal machine(ubuntu 12.04) spinned up using vagrant . Is it possible to run up a virtual machine inside that VM?

All suggestions and guidance are welcome :)

Re: VM inside VM

Jeff Sussna
vagrant-aws runs nicely inside of vagrant-virtualbox. Haven't tried vagrant-aws inside of itself but suspect it would work just fine.