Using providers other than VirtualBox

M Edward Borasky
There isn't a lot of documentation on the website on how to use providers other than VirtualBox. Specifically, on Windows 8 I want to use VMware Workstation 9, for which I own a license. And on Fedora Linux 18 and later I want to use VMware Workstation 9 and libvirt/qemu-kvm/virt-manager.

How do I do that?

Re: Using providers other than VirtualBox

Mitchell Hashimoto
http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/providers/basic_usage.html

For now, VMware Workstation providers for Windows/Linux don't exist. They're coming _very_ soon.

A libvirt provider is available via the open source community. They are available as plugins.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM, M Edward Borasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
There isn't a lot of documentation on the website on how to use providers other than VirtualBox. Specifically, on Windows 8 I want to use VMware Workstation 9, for which I own a license. And on Fedora Linux 18 and later I want to use VMware Workstation 9 and libvirt/qemu-kvm/virt-manager.

How do I do that?

Re: Using providers other than VirtualBox

M Edward Borasky
The documentation does not list what is available and where. Telling
me something is "available via the open source community" doesn't tell
me its name or location on the web.

Is there a list of boxes and plugins that are available? I couldn't find it.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/providers/basic_usage.html
>
> For now, VMware Workstation providers for Windows/Linux don't exist. They're
> coming _very_ soon.
>
> A libvirt provider is available via the open source community. They are
> available as plugins.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM, M Edward Borasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There isn't a lot of documentation on the website on how to use providers
>> other than VirtualBox. Specifically, on Windows 8 I want to use VMware
>> Workstation 9, for which I own a license. And on Fedora Linux 18 and later I
>> want to use VMware Workstation 9 and libvirt/qemu-kvm/virt-manager.
>>
>> How do I do that?
>>
>> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

I am not an IP address! I am a free man!

Re: Using providers other than VirtualBox

Mitchell Hashimoto
Unfortunately, because providers are so new, there isn't a good list available of what I would consider stable-enough providers to list on the official documentation. At some point, I intend to promote certain projects to first-class support and list them on the website, but we're not there yet.

Google is the only option currently, and was pretty effective: http://d.pr/i/jdKB

I'm sorry about this. But if I were to list a provider on the website, I want it to be at a level of quality I feel comfortable with to list it there (such as the Fusion one).

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/providers/basic_usage.html
>
> For now, VMware Workstation providers for Windows/Linux don't exist. They're
> coming _very_ soon.
>
> A libvirt provider is available via the open source community. They are
> available as plugins.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM, M Edward Borasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There isn't a lot of documentation on the website on how to use providers
>> other than VirtualBox. Specifically, on Windows 8 I want to use VMware
>> Workstation 9, for which I own a license. And on Fedora Linux 18 and later I
>> want to use VMware Workstation 9 and libvirt/qemu-kvm/virt-manager.
>>
>> How do I do that?
>>
>> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

I am not an IP address! I am a free man!

Re: Using providers other than VirtualBox

M Edward Borasky
OK ... sounds like a plan. Meanwhile I'll probably just grab existing
boxes for VirtualBox and manually convert them - I have scripts for
Fedora and Ubuntu that do most of the hard stuff.