Unable to launch Centos V6 in GUI via Vagrant

Unable to launch Centos V6 in GUI via Vagrant

Maruti Gangumolu
Hi Team,

I'm unable to launch centos V6 in GUI mode via Vagrant app. The linux box is getting started in text mode, even after mention vb.gui = 'true' in vagrant file. Please help me with this issue. This is my first vagrant task.

Thanks,
Maruti.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/04a2f23f-4c9a-4a9f-995e-599f5b542d9c%40googlegroups.com.

Re: Unable to launch Centos V6 in GUI via Vagrant

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello

Are several things that need to happen.

A. When you use vb.gui that tells vagrant to open a Console when the VM start. Thats opossed to silent by default.
B. You need to ensure the graphical environment is installed and the default mode is graphical instead of text.

For this, you need to check the documentation, if for centos v6 you mean 6.N then usually the commands should be

yum install -y "Graphical Desktop"
edit /etc/inittab and set init level to graphical, usually 5

For A you are done.
For B please check OS documentation.

Thanks
Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0eyhDoFU%2BttHUQv78PaKusSG-h4u-Boi28_24xSnDYMRbQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Unable to launch Centos V6 in GUI via Vagrant

Maruti Gangumolu
Hi Alvaro,

These are the steps that i executed on the centos system.

1. yum groupinstall -y "GNOME Desktop" "Graphical Administration Tools"

2.. edited  /etc/inittab file

and change following text to
id:5:initdefault:

After making these changes, I rebooted the system and it never comes and prompt user login screen. Any sugesstions?

Thanks,
Maruti.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAKu269gONSca5yFRxr0B0mB16s3yPRDrrgSeNq67p6O7xYUobQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Unable to launch Centos V6 in GUI via Vagrant

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello

Check OS documentation, and have a look ouside vagrant as an start.

I am not sure of the OS you are using, and not having access to the system is hard to help.

I just shared a general approach that have worked for me, but I am not sure how I can help further now.

Thanks
Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ezY0C9E28o6n-GQBGSkjfnC0k54EO-QRB6%3D8_yj2v5UOg%40mail.gmail.com.