Testing from another guest VM?

Rob Wilkerson
I have a pretty typical Vagrant dev environment with nothing that seems particularly unique in my Vagrantfile or provisioning. After up'ing the environment, I'd like to do some IE testing in a Windows VM on the same host machine. How do I access http://[hostmachine]:8080 from IE in that Windows guest? I swear I've done this before, but can't remember exactly how and my Google fu appears to be weak.

I've tried 10.0.2.2:8080, but no luck. Anyone have the clue I can't seem to find?

Thanks.

Re: Testing from another guest VM?

Rob Wilkerson

On Friday, April 26, 2013 7:41:48 AM UTC-4, Rob Wilkerson wrote:
I have a pretty typical Vagrant dev environment with nothing that seems particularly unique in my Vagrantfile or provisioning. After up'ing the environment, I'd like to do some IE testing in a Windows VM on the same host machine. How do I access http://[hostmachine]:8080 from IE in that Windows guest? I swear I've done this before, but can't remember exactly how and my Google fu appears to be weak.

I've tried 10.0.2.2:8080, but no luck. Anyone have the clue I can't seem to find?

Thanks.

Argh. Looks like my current iteration of the problem is IE-specific (whodathunk?). Pointing Chrome to http://10.0.2.2:8080 renders nicely. Good times.

Re: Testing from another guest VM?

Bob Graw
Rob,
Once upon a time, IE would not assume http:// if you specified a different port. I always had to add the prefix. Maybe they fixed it in later versions. I avoid Internet Exploder as much as possible.
Bob

On Friday, April 26, 2013 8:16:19 AM UTC-4, Rob Wilkerson wrote:

Argh. Looks like my current iteration of the problem is IE-specific (whodathunk?). Pointing Chrome to http://10.0.2.2:8080 renders nicely. Good times.

Wow. IE is a pedantic little bastard about these things. Seems that I wasn't explicitly adding the "http://" in front of the rest of my URL and if that URL includes a port, IE won't implicitly put it there for me like every other browser in all the land. **sigh**

Disclaimer: I didn't actually _check_ every other browser in all the land so take that statement as the hyperbole it was intended to be. I just know that I rarely type the protocol and yet things usually work just fine. :-)