Solved: working centos 6.x vagrants with vmware provider

Solved: working centos 6.x vagrants with vmware provider

Andrew Diller
After a lot of work and testing I've solved the issue for getting Centos 6.x vagrant boxes built w/ the vmware provider working on Vagrant.

It's a little rough around the edges, but it's reproducible.

From start to finish I have it outlined in this gist:

https://gist.github.com/dillera/caf9f320599ec734a66f

Please take a look if you are interested in getting Centos6 boxes working w/ vagrant. Let me know how it works for you and what gaps I have in the document.

The key was to change the udev script that was writing out the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file, and not just change or delete that file.

But it's all in gist, so take a look.

-andy diller

Re: Solved: working centos 6.x vagrants with vmware provider

Mitchell Hashimoto
Andy,

Thanks! It wouldn't be too hard now for somebody (maybe I'll do it) to
encode this knowledge into a repeatable Packer template
(http://www.packer.io) so then it can be automated.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Diller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After a lot of work and testing I've solved the issue for getting Centos 6.x
> vagrant boxes built w/ the vmware provider working on Vagrant.
>
> It's a little rough around the edges, but it's reproducible.
>
> From start to finish I have it outlined in this gist:
>

> https://gist.github.com/dillera/caf9f320599ec734a66f
>

> Please take a look if you are interested in getting Centos6 boxes working w/
> vagrant. Let me know how it works for you and what gaps I have in the
> document.
>
> The key was to change the udev script that was writing out the
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file, and not just change or
> delete that file.
>
> But it's all in gist, so take a look.
>

> -andy diller

Re: Solved: working centos 6.x vagrants with vmware provider

Andrew Diller
I will check out packer, it looks useful.

Also next is to get some ansible provisioning up for these boxes.

My whole reason for building these things is to get my team working on building some Linux Containers (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) (docker.io) that we'll use on our production centos hardware, now I'm finally getting close to being able to do that. I will post any improvements I made or get via feedback.

-andy