Set VM name with hyperv provider

Nicola
Hi to all,
in my vagrant project  I've a gui where the users put into a box the name of the development environment. I want that this name is used in the vagrantfile to set the name for the hostname and for the name of the vm in hyperv. It's possible?

Thanks

Nicola

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello Nicola,

In the vagrantfile you should be able to define a hyperv block to set
serveral options, one is the name on the gui

https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/hyperv/configuration.html

vmname (string) - Name of virtual mashine as shown in Hyper-V manager.
Defaults is taken from box image XML.

I haven't done it, so please try this:

config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
  hv.vmname = testmachine"
end

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Nicola <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi to all,
> in my vagrant project  I've a gui where the users put into a box the name of
> the development environment. I want that this name is used in the
> vagrantfile to set the name for the hostname and for the name of the vm in
> hyperv. It's possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nicola

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
typo,.. missing a quote

config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
  hv.vmname = "testmachine"
end

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Nicola,
>
> In the vagrantfile you should be able to define a hyperv block to set
> serveral options, one is the name on the gui
>
> https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/hyperv/configuration.html
>
> vmname (string) - Name of virtual mashine as shown in Hyper-V manager.
> Defaults is taken from box image XML.
>
> I haven't done it, so please try this:
>
> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>   hv.vmname = testmachine"
> end
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Nicola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>> in my vagrant project  I've a gui where the users put into a box the name of
>> the development environment. I want that this name is used in the
>> vagrantfile to set the name for the hostname and for the name of the vm in
>> hyperv. It's possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nicola

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Nicola
Hello Alvaro, I try to do like your example bit I've this error:

There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
the following errors and try again:

Hyper-V:
* The following settings shouldn't exist: cpus, memory, vmname

And my vagrantfile is this:

config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
  hv.vmname = "vm_name"
  hv.cpus = "1"
  hv.memory = "512"
end

Have you any idea?
Nicola

typo,.. missing a quote

<<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Tdy3QidMcLoJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">kik...@...> wrote:

> Hello Nicola,
>
> In the vagrantfile you should be able to define a hyperv block to set
> serveral options, one is the name on the gui

> vmname (string) - Name of virtual mashine as shown in Hyper-V manager.
> Defaults is taken from box image XML.
>
> I haven't done it, so please try this:
>
> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>   hv.vmname = testmachine"
> end
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Nicola <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Tdy3QidMcLoJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">nickw...@...> wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>> in my vagrant project  I've a gui where the users put into a box the name of
>> the development environment. I want that this name is used in the
>> vagrantfile to set the name for the hostname and for the name of the vm in
>> hyperv. It's possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nicola

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Nicola, always share the full vagrantfile please..

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Nicola <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alvaro, I try to do like your example bit I've this error:
>
> There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
> the following errors and try again:
>
> Hyper-V:
> * The following settings shouldn't exist: cpus, memory, vmname
>
> And my vagrantfile is this:
>
> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>   hv.vmname = "vm_name"
>   hv.cpus = "1"
>   hv.memory = "512"
> end
>
> Have you any idea?
> Nicola
>
> Il giorno lunedì 9 febbraio 2015 21:21:21 UTC+1, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera ha
> scritto:
>>
>> typo,.. missing a quote
>>
>> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>>   hv.vmname = "testmachine"
>> end
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello Nicola,
>> >
>> > In the vagrantfile you should be able to define a hyperv block to set
>> > serveral options, one is the name on the gui
>> >
>> > https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/hyperv/configuration.html
>> >
>> > vmname (string) - Name of virtual mashine as shown in Hyper-V manager.
>> > Defaults is taken from box image XML.
>> >
>> > I haven't done it, so please try this:
>> >
>> > config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>> >   hv.vmname = testmachine"
>> > end

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Also, ensure you are in the latest version..

vagrant version

:)

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicola, always share the full vagrantfile please..
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Nicola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Alvaro, I try to do like your example bit I've this error:
>>
>> There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
>> the following errors and try again:
>>
>> Hyper-V:
>> * The following settings shouldn't exist: cpus, memory, vmname
>>
>> And my vagrantfile is this:
>>
>> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>>   hv.vmname = "vm_name"
>>   hv.cpus = "1"
>>   hv.memory = "512"
>> end
>>
>> Have you any idea?
>> Nicola
>>
>> Il giorno lunedì 9 febbraio 2015 21:21:21 UTC+1, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera ha
>> scritto:
>>>
>>> typo,.. missing a quote
>>>
>>> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>>>   hv.vmname = "testmachine"
>>> end

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Nicola
I'm on the latest release of Vagrant (1.7.2) and seems that configuration is not supported...

<<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="CkxfZHyuyq8J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">kik...@...> wrote:

> Nicola, always share the full vagrantfile please..
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Nicola <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="CkxfZHyuyq8J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">nickw...@...> wrote:
>> Hello Alvaro, I try to do like your example bit I've this error:
>>
>> There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
>> the following errors and try again:
>>
>> Hyper-V:
>> * The following settings shouldn't exist: cpus, memory, vmname
>>
>> And my vagrantfile is this:
>>
>> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>>   hv.vmname = "vm_name"
>>   hv.cpus = "1"
>>   hv.memory = "512"
>> end
>>
>> Have you any idea?
>> Nicola
>>
>> Il giorno lunedì 9 febbraio 2015 21:21:21 UTC+1, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera ha
>> scritto:
>>>
>>> typo,.. missing a quote
>>>
>>> config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
>>>   hv.vmname = "testmachine"
>>> end

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

constantin07
The workaround is posted here
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/5260
In my opinion the documentation is misleading. The doc reflects 1.7.3 which is not released yet.

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Ahmet Arsan
It seems my entire hyper-v config is being ignored. Were you able to get this working? I am trying to set vmname and memory but not working.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6b364932-0ebb-4909-9aba-9fbfde833d5c%40googlegroups.com.

Re: Set VM name with hyperv provider

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello,

Can you send a new email and share your Vagrantfile for review?

You did reply to a email thread a bit outdated.

Thanks
Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0exEmSEVmT17ajE15K0N7SXCxwWHwBFsuhP5VOtTgLch8A%40mail.gmail.com.