Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

Dan Storm
Hi,

I tried setting up an Ubuntu box with vagrant and Puppet provisioning.

All is good until I've halted and upped the system or just rebooted it.
None of my services (Apache, mongodb, mysql, memcahed, nothing at all) starts by itself.

This means that I have to start all services manually to begin my development.
Why is this?

Re: Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

Andrew Melo

On Saturday, November 9, 2013, Dan Storm wrote:
Hi,

I tried setting up an Ubuntu box with vagrant and Puppet provisioning.

All is good until I've halted and upped the system or just rebooted it.
None of my services (Apache, mongodb, mysql, memcahed, nothing at all) starts by itself.

This means that I have to start all services manually to begin my development.
Why is this?

Your puppet manifest didn't set the services to start on boot.

Andrew Melo

Re: Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

Dan Storm
Thank you for your reply.

By using the following, will Puppet not by default installl the package and the boot service by default?
package {
"apache2":
ensure => present;
"memcached":
ensure => present;
}

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 7:12:51 PM UTC+1, Andrew Melo wrote:

On Saturday, November 9, 2013, Dan Storm wrote:
Hi,

I tried setting up an Ubuntu box with vagrant and Puppet provisioning.

All is good until I've halted and upped the system or just rebooted it.
None of my services (Apache, mongodb, mysql, memcahed, nothing at all) starts by itself.

This means that I have to start all services manually to begin my development.
Why is this?

Your puppet manifest didn't set the services to start on boot.

Andrew Melo

Re: Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

VMTrooper
Hello Dan,

You need to add a "service" resource type for each of your services and set "enabled" to "true" and "ensure" to "running"

Most package management code in puppet follows a Package-File-Service workflow where dependencies and notifications are set between a package resource, it's configuration file, and the service status.

-Trevor

Re: Services on my vagrant box fails to start on 'vagrant up'

Dan Storm
I found that the box I'm using (Ubuntu Raring) only has Puppet v. 2.7.18 installed (no update from apt available) which has issues with Ubuntus Upstart.
This can only be resolved by upgrading Puppet manually from apt.puppetlabs.com AFTER the box has been booted. A second proviosing is then required.