Running tasks on vagrant or on local - best practice

Running tasks on vagrant or on local - best practice

Marko Blazekovic
Hi people. Have a question about vagrant. Well dilemma. :) When doing some actions like "git commit" or some other composer stuff should I run it on my local machine or SSH to vagrant and always do everything there. What is the benefit of doing it on my local machine?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/c8190b4e-4022-4462-8639-72f6c1edc7de%40googlegroups.com.

Re: Running tasks on vagrant or on local - best practice

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
depends

imagine you are doing a nice php site

you can have a vagrant project that setup the VM and install php + other components

and then, you could inside the VM git clone the site and use all the cool features of a native linux Filesystem

if you don'tneed that, then the normal out of the box experience is put the Vagrant file along your code, so when you do vagrant up the code will be mounted in /vagrant in the guest

So for that, you do

git clone <repo> <path>
cd <path>
vagrant up

make sense?

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Marko Blazekovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi people. Have a question about vagrant. Well dilemma. :) When doing some actions like "git commit" or some other composer stuff should I run it on my local machine or SSH to vagrant and always do everything there. What is the benefit of doing it on my local machine?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/c8190b4e-4022-4462-8639-72f6c1edc7de%40googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ew3C0YaayArsv%3D3zrYbNWLf_qzyrEWHYbZkfgRP3YEnRA%40mail.gmail.com.

Running tasks on vagrant or on local - best practice

Robert Lilly
I tend to do the `git commit` and other repo related commands locally, outside of the VM, so that if I do a `vagrant destroy` I don't lose the git history. I always view the VM as ephemeral and anything that needs to persist even if the VM no longer exists needs to be on the local host machine.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/0cdd34bc-e9cf-488c-b4ce-3e6ed377057f%40googlegroups.com.