Remote Puppet Master with Vagrant

Andrew Ensley
Hello,

I apologize for the extremely noobish question, but I have been reading about Vagrant and Puppet for a week now (on and off), and I'm still not sure if I can get them to do what I want.

My goal: I want to be able to share one VagrantFile with my dev team so that they can simply run vagrant up (after installing virtualbox and vagrant, of course). Running that command will setup the virtual machine and connect it to my (remote) puppetmaster server, which will take over from there to install and configure all the needed software.

I thought I had figured out that this was possible and very straight forward, but I must have missed something in my process. I tried the following VagrantFile:

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|

  # Base Vagrant Box
  config.vm.box = "precise64"
  config.vm.box_url = "http://files.vagrantup.com/precise64.box"

  # Networking
  config.vm.hostname = "vagrant.mydomain.com"
  config.vm.network :public_network

  # Puppet server configuration
  config.vm.provision :puppet_server do |puppet|
    puppet.puppet_server = "puppet.mydomain.com"
    puppet.options = "--verbose --debug"

When I run vagrant up, Everything works great until it gets to the provisioning. I get this output:

[default] Running provisioner: VagrantPlugins::Puppet::Provisioner::PuppetServer...
Running Puppet agent...
stdin: is not a tty
debug: Failed to load library 'shadow' for feature 'libshadow'
debug: Puppet::Type::User::ProviderLdap: true value when expecting false
debug: Puppet::Type::User::ProviderUser_role_add: file roledel does not exist
debug: Puppet::Type::User::ProviderPw: file pw does not exist
debug: Puppet::Type::User::ProviderDirectoryservice: file /usr/bin/dscl does not exist
debug: Failed to load library 'selinux' for feature 'selinux'
debug: Failed to load library 'ldap' for feature 'ldap'
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/facts]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/client_data]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys/vagrant.mydomain.com.pem]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/state]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys/vagrant.mydomain.com.pem]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/state/graphs]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet/state]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/run/agent.pid]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet/run]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/run]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/clientbucket]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/client_yaml]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/log]: Autorequiring File[/var/lib/puppet]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/certs]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl]
debug: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys]: Autorequiring File[/etc/puppet/ssl]
debug: Finishing transaction 70235136738340

I have no idea what these errors mean, and googling didn't provide much of a clue either. My host OS is Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit.

Is what I want to do even possible? Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do it? Thank you for any help.

Re: Remote Puppet Master with Vagrant

Andrew Ensley
You were right. The problem was on the puppet master. I didn't have port 8140 open. Once I opened that, I saw the CSR, signed the certificate, and everything is working now.

I saw all the debug errors in the vagrant output and assumed they were what was causing nothing to happen. Thank you for your help!

On 5 April 2013 23:04, Andrew Ensley <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="sOietME1U7UJ">awen...@...> wrote:
[...]

E: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="sOietME1U7UJ">si...@...
M: +44 7710 836 915

Re: Remote Puppet Master with Vagrant

Simon McCartney
My pleasure, glad you got it working!

Simon.

On 9 April 2013 14:54, Andrew Ensley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

M: <a href="tel:%2B44%207710%20836%20915" value="+447710836915" target="_blank">+44 7710 836 915

Simon McCartney
M: +44 7710 836 915