Re: vagrant-hostmaster gem to manage /etc/hosts on both host OS and target/guest VMs

Re: vagrant-hostmaster gem to manage /etc/hosts on both host OS and target/guest VMs

David Knell
This is SO cool!!! I highly recommend that this be added to the Vagrant core. So much better than port forwarding... Thanks for making this Brent!

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:33:06 PM UTC-4, sbfaulkner wrote:
I've just recently created a gem that takes care of managing entries in /etc/hosts - both on the host OS *and* on the guest VMs.

Cheers

--Brent

Re: vagrant-hostmaster gem to manage /etc/hosts on both host OS and target/guest VMs

Patrick Connolly
Been meaning to add this to a project for awhile and saw this thread, so wanted to chime in to thank you @sbfaulkner :)

But I don't think this replaces port forwarding, right? Just makes it so that you don't need to manually edit hosts, and you can automatically access a new sites in the browser at:
http://mysite.com:8080

On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:00:28 AM UTC-5, David Knell wrote:
This is SO cool!!! I highly recommend that this be added to the Vagrant core. So much better than port forwarding... Thanks for making this Brent!

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:33:06 PM UTC-4, sbfaulkner wrote:
I've just recently created a gem that takes care of managing entries in /etc/hosts - both on the host OS *and* on the guest VMs.

Cheers

--Brent

Re: vagrant-hostmaster gem to manage /etc/hosts on both host OS and target/guest VMs

Andrew Coulton
I think the idea is that you then use host-only networking rather than NAT so that you can have the web server eg on port 80 on the guest and just reach it at http://mysite/

That approach also means if you have multiple servers up and running you dont have to put different ports on each of them.