Re: disappearing VMs

Lauri Fjällström
Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same issue. I'm using Vagrant 1.2.1 and VirtualBox 4.2.12. Vagrant just loses the virtual machines even thought I can see them in the Virtual Box Manager. Any updates on this?

Thanks,
Lauri

perjantai, 2. marraskuuta 2012 18.06.09 UTC+2 Vincent Boulaye kirjoitti:
Hi all,

I just started using Vagrant and I have a very annoying issue on my environment:
I can create a VM and I am able to start/stop it, add shared folders or forwarded ports...
But, in some cases, on startup:
- either Vagrant does not see the existing VM and creates a new one (In the VirtualBox UI  the existing VM is not there, but the VM files still are on the drive and they can be reloaded manually.)
- or vagrant up fails during the port forwarding (modifyvm call) and in those cases, the VM files are dropped (but the reference to the VM is still visible in Virtualbox UI....) . In those cases the VM is completly lost.

This makes it very hard to use (I have to backup the VM before any shutdown to be safe!)

I tested this using vagrant 1.0.5 / VirtualBox 4.2.4 on a WinXP laptop.
It seems to occur after the laptop goes to sleep or maybe when I lose the network connection between restarts.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: disappearing VMs

Quentin Hartman
I am also seeing this with Vagrant 1.2.2 and Virtualbox 4.2.x on Windows 7 w/ Cygwin. Sometimes I can work around the problem by copying the UUID of the VM into the appropriate "id" file in the .vagrant directory, but even that doesn't work consistently.

It seems this is a known problem on Windows, there is a handful of bugs that mention it, but it doesn't seem to have gotten much attention. The consensus seems to be that VBoxManage is not returning in a timely manner, and vagrant just carries on assuming the boxes don't exist. There is a patch in place that should be in Vagrant 1.2.3 (or so) that catches errors from VBoxManage better, so it might work around the problem, but I'm not sure.

I'm fighting this same thing right now, so I'll post back if I come up with anything useful.

QH