Re: Slowness

Karel
I got a mail of someone who gave me a great tip, the first one that actually really changed something:

config.vm.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--memory", 2024]

Note: it will slows down your computer and it seems to be problematic to run multiple vms at the same time. You may want to play with the number.

On Wednesday, 28 November 2012 20:59:39 UTC-5, Karel wrote:
I tried that also, a recreated a vagrant vm, moving from .local to .dev. Still getting super slow after couple requests.

I'm really confused by the fact that it starts decently fast (1s a request) and quickly drops to 10+s a request.

I've read that some people were having DNS issue after running OS major updates (from Snow Leopard to Lion). Before going for a clean install of my Mountain Lion, could one of you try to run my vagrant-starter with a basic wordpress stack to see if the problem is not within my vagrantfile.

Thanks!

On Monday, 19 November 2012 14:24:21 UTC-5, Robert Schulze wrote:
Hi Karel,

most of my network performance issues (not necessarily with vagrant) turned out to be a freaking DNS problem.
Indeed, Mac OS X is using '.local' as top level domain for their zero-conf-network [bonjour](http://www.apple.com/support/bonjour/). This is why I'm now using '.dev' now (also saves you 2 letters (: )
Besides this, I'm using host-only networking in a network outside the one of my host. I use 33.0.0.0/8 (e.g. 33.33.33.2) which is outside any regular address space.

Best,
-Robert

On 19.11.2012, at 20:04, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the idea but avahi daemon doesn't seem to be install in the precise base box!

On Monday, 19 November 2012 09:32:03 UTC-5, Patrick Debois wrote:
A long shot , if the avahi daemon is installed , try to remove it from the virtual machine.

On 19/11/12 15:30, Karel wrote:
I've started looking into DNS issues and apparently, since Lion (I'm running Mountain Lion), Apple reversed the order of DNS.

My requests to vagrant vms take 40s before loading and even the vm I was using before is taking 5s before loading. The DNS lookup is far from optimum.

I read couple things about dnsmasq. Do you think it can solve my problem? How would you recommend me to set it up?

Also I read that .local tld is a bad idea on mac because of potential collision with bonjour. Have you heard of that?

Thanks for your help!

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 16:57:39 UTC-5, Karel wrote:
That's the only one I've spent time on as I haven't yet migrated my ruby and node project on vagrant.

Though, I've tested the exact same WP install on my former VM and it is super fast, so it is not a WP issue.

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 16:56:02 UTC-5, _debo wrote:
No I mean is the WP setup the one causing you problems?

On 18 November 2012 21:47, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
One of them. I know of the wordpress cookbook but I built some custom cookbooks to automatically create my vhost and server config as I like to have them.

The cookbooks I use for the lamp stack are the opscode ones, plus some personal config.

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 16:45:06 UTC-5, _debo wrote:
Is it that the environment are you trying to run? I mean WP?

On 18 November 2012 20:28, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks a lot.

You'll see that in the Vagrantfile, you can specify the kind of project you want (php, ruby, node...). The only one that works so far is php to run my wordpress sites. The wordpress is to be installed manually in /srv/www/the_project_name_you_picked_in_vagrantfile.local/pubic

Mysql credentials will be the_project_name_you_picked_in_vagrantfile:qwe

Finally, to access the_project_name_you_picked_in_vagrantfile.local in the browser, you must edit your /etc/hosts in the host to root the vm ip.

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 15:24:19 UTC-5, _debo wrote:
I'll try as soon as I have a moment.

Cheers

On 18 November 2012 19:42, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could one of you run my vagrant-starter to see if you have the same issue and how it can be fixed? https://github.com/karellm/vagrant-starter

I use berks to grab the cookbooks.

Thanks in advance!

On Thursday, 15 November 2012 11:37:48 UTC-5, Karel wrote:
I have two adapters in the info box in VB:

Adapter 1: Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (NAT)
Adapter 2: Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (Host only adapter, 'vboxnet0')

I'm not a network expert at all. Thanks a lot for the help!

On Thursday, 15 November 2012 04:58:32 UTC-5, _debo wrote:
time curl x.x.x.x ? What type of network are you using? If you are using NAT network how can you access the guest via IP?

On 15 November 2012 05:39, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Slowness is back. It feels like it kicked in after I put my macbook to sleep.

Should I update vagrant? I have 1.0.4 so far.

@Mitchell, so I did a "time curl localhost" from the vm and a "time curl x.x.x.x" from the host. No problem here.

@_debo No LAMP stack log anormal activity. I still have to test the "host only network" option you mentionned.

On Wednesday, 14 November 2012 09:58:23 UTC-5, Karel wrote:
Thanks all. After ready your messages, I found that VB had some problems with 64 distros. I started using precise32 instead of precise64. Apparently (I still wait to see), it increased significantly the speed of my vm. It is now workable.

@Wolfgang I haven't set it so I guess it is the default (384MB)

@Mitchell

@_debo I installed it. Thanks for the advices. If the 32bit isn't enough, I'll try what you mentioned!

On Tuesday, 13 November 2012 12:30:30 UTC-5, Max Lapshin wrote:
You should definitely do something with your OS (maybe inside vagrant).

Vagrant is working greatly for deploying erlyvideo and replies in 8 ms for HTTP requests.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
After trying it all, I've decided to stop using Vagrant. I love the promise but it is impossible to work on it. 20 seconds per request kills my productivity.

If you ever come up with a solution, I'd love to hear it!

On Tuesday, 23 October 2012 02:42:38 UTC-4, fran wrote:
2012/10/22 Karel <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks but the troubleshooting isn't really helping.
>
> I did all what's in there. ipv6 is disabled, libavahi-common3 removed, my vm
> restarted.
>
> Regarding different web servers, what do you mean? I doubt it is an apache
> issue. Do you think I should try to run my vm under vmware to see if it is a
> vbox issue?

Personnaly, I improve the performance of my VM with :
config.vm.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--natdnsproxy1", "off"]

This settings have for consequence to not use the DNS of the host.
See http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html for details.