Re: Notice: Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer distribute as RubyGems. Packages only.

Re: Notice: Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer distribute as RubyGems. Packages only.

Jamie Kirkpatrick
I'm very late to the party I know but I'd like to express some disappointment at going down an installer-only route.  I understand your reasoning, strong isolation is a good thing, and like you said, some dependencies aren't easily managed with Gems.

That said, the automated use-case might be more widespread than you think.  I for one have built a whole automated developer box building workflow using Vagrant and Veewee and using bundler/rvm to isolate things has worked perfectly for us so far.  Now I'm going to have a very hard time automating the whole thing which kind of defeats the point - currently I have a single script developers can run to provision all kinds of environments totally automatically.

I know you will probably say that they already have to install VirtualBox manually and this is true, but as I add more and more things to the list of manual steps the value diminishes.  I'd really love it if you would at least consider maintaining a gemspec so people can install from git/github using bundler if they know how and want that power.

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:31:46 AM UTC-4, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
Hello all,

I've come to the decision that starting with Vagrant 1.1 and for the
ongoing future, Vagrant will cease to be distributed as a RubyGem.
Vagrant 1.0.x will continue to be backported to both installers and
RubyGem releases. Additionally, I'll push a 1.0.x update at some point
to notify users that updated versions are available only as
installers.

This has always been the plan, and I released Vagrant 1.0 as both a
gem and installers because the entire 0.x series were gems and because
the installers were beta. Over the past few months, many issues have
been identified and fixed with the installers. Today, the installers
very stable.

However, I'd still like to share the reasons for the change:

* RubyGems is prone to many environmental variables: Ruby version,
paths, permissions (sudo or no sudo?), RVM, etc. This actually leads
to a lot of strange issues. Installers allow me to tightly control the
environment that Vagrant runs in and therefore minimize the issues
caused due to external forces. This results in a much better
experience overall for users.

* Over the next few releases, I'll introduce some new library
requirements (such as libssh2), and installers will let me package
them with Vagrant, rather than adding a pre-requisite for users to
install the library, since library installs can be a nightmare on some
systems such as Windows, and this way I also control the version.

* Too many people still see Vagrant as just a "ruby thing," and I
think installers will get rid of this mindset, as it becomes more of a
downloaded and installed tool where the implementation language
doesn't much matter.

Of course, I know that people do have some concerns with this change,
which I'll address below.

First, I know many people add "vagrant" as a dependency in their
Bundler `Gemfile`. I've said it before and I still stand by my
viewpoint that this shouldn't be done. Vagrant shouldn't be considered
a Ruby library, it should be considered a tool like `git`. Therefore,
I don't think its too much to ask (especially with the ease of the
installers) for users to install this prior to using your project.

Next, a lot of people liked RubyGems because it does give you update
functionality. With packages, the only way to get updates is to
manually check the website, listen to the mailing list, etc. for a new
release. This issue is valid and I will be adding upgrade checking
abilities to Vagrant in the future, something similar to a `vagrant
update` command. Initially, this will only notify you of a new
release, but in the future I hope this can also auto-update for you.

Finally, another feature is that your platform may not be supported by
the packages or installers! Please let me know if this is the case and
I will attempt to create packages for your platform. Otherwise, I plan
on simply documenting how Vagrant can be built for alternate
platforms, and will expect users to build the software manually. This
is not unlike projects like `git`.

Please voice any concerns here before this takes effect and I will
address them as well as I can.

Re: Notice: Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer distribute as RubyGems. Packages only.

Mitchell Hashimoto
Jamie,

Understood. However, you can quite easily automate the install of Vagrant on any platform. I use the native platform packages for each (MSI for Windows, PKG for Mac, etc.), and each of these formats has been specifically designed to allow for hands-free installation.

In that case, you simply have to modify the script to use the command-line installation of the package format you're interested in. Voila!

Mitchell

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Jamie Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike
In fact, there's already a Chef cookbook to install vagrant on your
platform of choice:
http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/vagrant

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> abilities to Vagrant in the future, something similar to a `vagrant
>>> update` command. Initially, this will only notify you of a new
>>> release, but in the future I hope this can also auto-update for you.
>>>
>>> Finally, another feature is that your platform may not be supported by
>>> the packages or installers! Please let me know if this is the case and
>>> I will attempt to create packages for your platform. Otherwise, I plan
>>> on simply documenting how Vagrant can be built for alternate
>>> platforms, and will expect users to build the software manually. This
>>> is not unlike projects like `git`.
>>>
>>> Please voice any concerns here before this takes effect and I will
>>> address them as well as I can.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Mitchell

Re: Notice: Vagrant 1.1+ will no longer distribute as RubyGems. Packages only.

Aybars Badur

For freebsd 9-1. Is there a plan to make binary packages for freebsd ? couldn't find how to build vagrant on freebsd too - googling doesnt help much - is there a document/tutorial, so maybe I can try building and packaging.

in other words how can i install vagrant on freebsd ?

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:31:46 AM UTC+3, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
[...]

Aybars,

I'd love to support more platforms. For now, there isn't support for FreeBSD officially. I may make a documentation page on getting Vagrant to work on other platforms...

Hi,