Re: How to automate installation of Puppet modules from Puppet Forge?

Re: How to automate installation of Puppet modules from Puppet Forge?

teo danciu

David,

How do you configure the initial mysql example  using librarian-puppet-vagrant?
I have added this: "mod "puppetlabs/mysql"  in Puppetfile, but I'm not sure what main.pp should contain.

Thanks!

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:51:48 PM UTC, David Edwards wrote:
To follow up on this:

I liked Librarian-puppet, but I wanted to find a way to do all the provisioning using Vagrant without having to install or run additional software on the host.

So, I came up with a solution that uses Librarian-puppet on the guest before Puppet does its provisioning. I've knocked together a simple example project and put it on Github, in case anyone is interested in having a look:

Regards,

David

Re: How to automate installation of Puppet modules from Puppet Forge?

gareth rushgrove
Ha

I too had this problem, and named my solution the same thing :)

https://github.com/garethr/librarian-puppet-vagrant

The implementation is different however. Mine is a vagrant middleware
which negates the need for the extra provisioner.

Gareth

--
Gareth Rushgrove
Web Geek

morethanseven.net
garethrushgrove.com

Re: How to automate installation of Puppet modules from Puppet Forge?

Dominic Lüchinger
Hi vagrant community

On 22/11/12 13:51, David Edwards wrote:

> To follow up on this:
>
> I liked Librarian-puppet, but I wanted to find a way to do all the
> provisioning using Vagrant without having to install or run additional
> software on the host.
>
> So, I came up with a solution that uses Librarian-puppet on the guest
> before Puppet does its provisioning. I've knocked together a simple
> example project and put it on Github, in case anyone is interested in
> having a look:
>
> https://github.com/purple52/librarian-puppet-vagrant

Nice solution.

There is an other project called Opskelaton (
https://github.com/narkisr/opskeleton) , that I really like.
Although you need librarian-puppet installed on your local machine. But
with 'rvm', this not a big deal.
The pros of Opskelaton is that you can use hiera, static-modules and run
provisioning within the vagrant box.

David: It would be nice to combine your project with Opskelaton.

What I usually do, is to install the latest Puppet version with this
shell script via shell provisioner: https://gist.github.com/dol/5188327

Regards
Dominic

Re: How to automate installation of Puppet modules from Puppet Forge?

David Edwards
On 18 March 2013 11:15, teo danciu <[hidden email]> wrote:
How do you configure the initial mysql example  using librarian-puppet-vagrant?
I have added this: "mod "puppetlabs/mysql"  in Puppetfile, but I'm not sure what main.pp should contain.

What you add to main.pp depends on how you want MySQL configured on your Vagrant box. Take a look at the examples under the Usage section on https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-mysql

Hope that helps!

David

On 18 March 2013 15:22, gareth rushgrove <[hidden email]> wrote:
The implementation is different however. Mine is a vagrant middleware
which negates the need for the extra provisioner.

Hi Gareth,

Interesting... The rationale behind my solution was to automate as much as possible and avoid having to install additional software on the host. Hence my provisioner installs librarian-puppet on the guest and runs it from there too.

David

On 18 March 2013 16:08, Dominic Lüchinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is an other project called Opskelaton ( https://github.com/narkisr/opskeleton) , that I really like.

Looks interesting, thanks.

David: It would be nice to combine your project with Opskelaton.

I only really created my project as light-weight example of the approach I was taking. But if anyone wants to reuse/re-purpose what I've done please feel free.

David