Re: Difference between .dmg and gem packages

Re: Difference between .dmg and gem packages

Adrian Perez
Hey Mitchell,

I wonder why the gem installation was deprecated, can you ellaborate further? I have used gem installation on linux and worked without a charm, so I'm interested in knowing the reason behind the deprecation.
Also, I'm a little bit suspicious when it comes to the package that *will install all dependencies* for you.
I have all dependencies I can think of already on Linux, and some of them being downloaded for Mac by a friend at the moment, so I wonder how will this affect future updates, if I don't get a gem to install does it mean that I have to download the full package every single time you release a version? Wondering because I'm pretty sure the gem is smaller than the package, and although not an issue for most people, it is for lo-fi connection users. Any clues?
Thanks.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:46:46 AM UTC-4, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Kir S. <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="v_qY9uwSuRoJ">razo...@...> wrote:
Previously I used Vagrant via "gem install vagrant", but now on the vagrantup.com there is a .dmg package. What's the difference between these 2 types of installation?

Gem installation is deprecated and will be removed in 1.1 forward. Packages are the preferred installation method.

The main method of the packages/installers is that it installs Vagrant with all dependencies onto your system. This means you don't need to mess with installing Ruby/RubyGems anymore and you can be confident that the dependencies are not only compatible with Vagrant, but are optimal.

I recommend switching to the installer.

Re: Difference between .dmg and gem packages

Mitchell Hashimoto
Adrian,

I'll go into detail on "why" later, I think it deserves a more prominent post.

As for dependencies: Yes, you install a package with all dependencies each time. This comes out to about 15 MB every time.