Question about GEM_PATH on version 1.1.X

Question about GEM_PATH on version 1.1.X

Nick Downs
Hello,

I just upgraded to 1.1.5 on Windows and ran into an issue installing Berkshelf-vagrant. The json gem is required and is a native gem so rubygems attempts to build it. There is a json gem that ships with vagrant but the embedded gem path is removed from GEM_PATH when the plugin "with_environment" method is executed. Is it possible to keep the embedded gem_path  inside of the GEM_PATH variable during plugin search and installation so the pre-built gem's can be used for dependency resolution?

Thanks in advance,
nickd

Re: Question about GEM_PATH on version 1.1.X

Mitchell Hashimoto
Nick,

Interesting, what happens in this case with the removed GEM_PATH? What is the behavior?

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Nick Downs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I just upgraded to 1.1.5 on Windows and ran into an issue installing Berkshelf-vagrant. The json gem is required and is a native gem so rubygems attempts to build it. There is a json gem that ships with vagrant but the embedded gem path is removed from GEM_PATH when the plugin "with_environment" method is executed. Is it possible to keep the embedded gem_path  inside of the GEM_PATH variable during plugin search and installation so the pre-built gem's can be used for dependency resolution?

Thanks in advance,
nickd

Re: Question about GEM_PATH on version 1.1.X

Nick Downs
In the case of berkshelf install, the json gem is attempted to be compiled. I did get this to work by running vagrant under msysGit which was simple enough to install and get working. Having the gem path for the embedded gems would be more of a convenience than anything for my particular situation.

I'll most likely run into this issue with another native gem down the line so it isn't a huge deal. I'll have to handle the build requirements eventually.