Provisioning only - no onstalling at all??

San

Provisioning only - no onstalling at all??

San
Hi there,

I've  rather unusual question/setup here. We have a logical separation between the Infrastructure and the Deployment team and the Infa normally creates the machines/VMs for us. Thus we get our VMs aleady up and running before we start provisioning. Is there any way Vagrant can be use only for the provisioning, without installing (or up) anything at all? I tried with vagrant provision node001, which did not work, telling me:

==> node001: VM not created. Moving on...

Am I completely out of luck here? Best!

Re: Provisioning only - no onstalling at all??

Torben Knerr
Hi San,

if you create the vagrant VM by yourself you can do `vagrant up --no-provision` - that will bring up the VM but not run a provisioner.

However if someone else does that on his machine it won't help you, because the machine state is stored in your local .vagrant directory (it might work for cloud providers like aws though, but I'm not sure).

If you are looking to provision any machines for which you can't control the lifecyle (up, destroy, etc...) but you have SSH access to, you can use the vagrant-managed-servers provider:

HTH,
Torben

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM, San <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I'veĀ  rather unusual question/setup here. We have a logical separation between the Infrastructure and the Deployment team and the Infa normally creates the machines/VMs for us. Thus we get our VMs aleady up and running before we start provisioning. Is there any way Vagrant can be use only for the provisioning, without installing (or up) anything at all? I tried with vagrant provision node001, which did not work, telling me: