Provision puppet modules - best practice recommendations?

Provision puppet modules - best practice recommendations?

Brad
I am using puppet to manage configuration on vagrant VMs. We do not yet have a puppet master in our environment. I would like to automate the provisioning of the VM with necessary puppet modules so that developers do not have to do much more than pull a vagrant release package from the configuration management repository, unpack the archive in a local drive, edit a few variables in a config file and vagrant up to do work.

Looking at posts in this forum and online it appears that there are 3 ways to provision the necessary modules:
1. Bundle them in the release package;
2. Use librarian-puppet with some scaffolding like librarian-puppet-vagrant
3. Use the puppet module tool.

Am I missing any other options?

1. Bundling the modules in a release package is reliable but entails work to build and manage the package. Versioning the modules in a code repository and so on. This can be time consuming.

2. Seems to be a preferred approach but I cannot get librarian-puppet to work with the puppet installed from an rpm in the vagrant VM. I like the shell script idea that David Edwards wrote.

3. The puppet module tool has the basic capabilities to install and upgrade modules but seems a little lacking in other features. For example, running puppet module in a shell script to provision modules prior to using puppet to use the modules seems doable but running install more than once throws an error message rather than an informational message that the module already exists. In addition, puppet module appears to really only work with puppet forge (directions on how to set up a separate module repository seem to be lacking).

Does anyone have other approaches that are working for them?

Thanks

Brad

Re: Provision puppet modules - best practice recommendations?

Simon McCartney
Which base box are you using (or another way, what puppet release are you using?)

Many of the base boxes are lagging behind in 'current' puppet releases, adding the puppet labs yum repo & installing from there will usually get you the latest & greatest puppet if you are on CentOS/RedHat/Debian/Ubuntu

--
Simon McCartney
M: +44 7710 836 915

Re: Provision puppet modules - best practice recommendations?

Brad
I used veewee to build a centos 5.8 box and used the PuppetLabs repo to install Puppet.

Brad

On 21 February 2013 03:31, Brad <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="qo1b9zIw7D8J">bradley...@...> wrote:
2. Seems to be a preferred approach but I cannot get librarian-puppet to work with the puppet installed from an rpm in the vagrant VM. I like the shell script idea that David Edwards wrote.

--
Simon McCartney
E: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="qo1b9zIw7D8J">si...@...
M: +44 7710 836 915

Re: Provision puppet modules - best practice recommendations?

Simon McCartney
So you should be on the latest & greatest then..can you double check the puppet version installed & show how librarian-puppet isn't working?

On 22 February 2013 22:03, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:
I used veewee to build a centos 5.8 box and used the PuppetLabs repo to install Puppet.

Brad

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:27:16 AM UTC-8, Simon McCartney wrote:
Which base box are you using (or another way, what puppet release are you using?)

Many of the base boxes are lagging behind in 'current' puppet releases, adding the puppet labs yum repo & installing from there will usually get you the latest & greatest puppet if you are on CentOS/RedHat/Debian/Ubuntu

On 21 February 2013 03:31, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:
2. Seems to be a preferred approach but I cannot get librarian-puppet to work with the puppet installed from an rpm in the vagrant VM. I like the shell script idea that David Edwards wrote.

--
Simon McCartney
M: <a href="tel:%2B44%207710%20836%20915" value="+447710836915" target="_blank">+44 7710 836 915

Simon McCartney
M: +44 7710 836 915