Possible to use VMware Player as provider for Vagrant?

Possible to use VMware Player as provider for Vagrant?

Tim G
I'm new to Vagrant, looking to run the Pebble SDK under Windows 7.  The Windows 7 machine already has VMware Player installed with a couple of virtualized Windows machines.

I saw that there is a VagrantUp provider for VMware available for $80, and VMware workstation starts at $250. I don't need the features of VMware's professional products, though.

Is it possible to integrate Vagrant with the free VMware Player without purchasing these products?

If not, are there any issues or caveats with respect to installing Vagrant in VirtualBox on a machine that already has VMware Player?

Re: Possible to use VMware Player as provider for Vagrant?

Mitchell Hashimoto
Tim,

Regarding Vagrant + Player: The code that powers the Vagrant VMware
providers actually can work with player, at least most of the
features. The problem is that I've been counseled that the VMware
Player EULA legally forbids this sort of use case because Vagrant
would be actively using features that Player can't do for free. Player
Pro is a different story but I can't detect that.

Additionally, Player free is missing networking features so host only
networks and bridged networks wouldn't work. Port forwarding is fine,
however.

So really what it comes down to is legality and a little bit of
technical limitations (but few).

You'll have no issues with VirtualBox even though Player is installed.
You can't install Vagrant _in_ VirtualBox, however, but I think that's
not what you meant.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Tim G <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new to Vagrant, looking to run the Pebble SDK under Windows 7.  The
> Windows 7 machine already has VMware Player installed with a couple of
> virtualized Windows machines.
>
> I saw that there is a VagrantUp provider for VMware available for $80, and
> VMware workstation starts at $250. I don't need the features of VMware's
> professional products, though.
>
> Is it possible to integrate Vagrant with the free VMware Player without
> purchasing these products?
>
> If not, are there any issues or caveats with respect to installing Vagrant
> in VirtualBox on a machine that already has VMware Player?

Re: Possible to use VMware Player as provider for Vagrant?

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
if the vm have vmware tools installed, you should be able to something like this:

- start vmware and import the vm
- remove vmtools
- export the vm as OVF
- import the vm in virtualbox
- start the vm in virtualbox and install virtualbox guest additions
- repackage the box as virtulabox provisioner format

not sure if virtualbox will be able to import that machine, it should, but haven't done it.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi can we run ubunut-vmware.box in virtualbox with vagrant?

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:14:44 PM UTC+5:30, Tim G wrote:
I'm new to Vagrant, looking to run the Pebble SDK under Windows 7.  The Windows 7 machine already has VMware Player installed with a couple of virtualized Windows machines.

I saw that there is a VagrantUp provider for VMware available for $80, and VMware workstation starts at $250. I don't need the features of VMware's professional products, though.

Is it possible to integrate Vagrant with the free VMware Player without purchasing these products?

If not, are there any issues or caveats with respect to installing Vagrant in VirtualBox on a machine that already has VMware Player?

Re: Possible to use VMware Player as provider for Vagrant?

VMTrooper
Is there something to specific to this box that you need to convert it?

Vagrant Cloud has multiple Ubuntu boxes including fairly clean ones from Chef.

If this is a box that you created, maybe the next time you create a box, you can use Packer so that it outputs to both VirtualBox and VMware formats?

Good luck,
Trevor