Pointers on how to handle dependancies for vagrant plugin

Pointers on how to handle dependancies for vagrant plugin

David Laing
I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers on how to handle dependancy detection for a vagrant v1.1 plugin.

https://github.com/mrdavidlaing/vagrant-unison is a plugin that sync's files from the host filesystem to the guest filesystem using unison.  (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/)

The unison executable must be installed on both the host, and the guest, and available in the path for the "vagrant sync" command to work.

Where is the best place to put the logic that checks that unison is installed on both the host and the guest?

Sofar I can see the following options:
  1. In the command; but then it would have to run every time you invoked the command.
  2. In the command error handler
Is there another, better place where plugins normally put their dependancy detection logic?

Thanks!

Re: Pointers on how to handle dependancies for vagrant plugin

Mitchell Hashimoto
David,

Normally Vagrant puts this sort of logic early before it is used. In this case, it looks like it would be best on the command.