Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

William Saxton
I'm using vagrant to provision some pretty basic VM's and everything is working with the following network setup:

    node.vm.network "private_network", ip: "10.0.1.100"

When I connect to my company VPN, though, I can no longer access the VM via its IP address.

Is there a different vagrant setting I need to access it properly?  I had thought that "private_network" meant that all communication between the host and guest VM would go directly to one another, but it looks like it trying to access it through the VPN first which obviously won't work.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3909c319-6293-4368-b2e4-9e16d1277229%40googlegroups.com.

Re: Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
Hello

VPN unfortunately is something need to be discussed with the network people.

Since they can configure to route all the traffic ovet the VPN, and therefore your host can't see the guest.

If you check the routing table before/after VPN, you should be able to see whats been modified.

From a technical point of view, make it work is doable, but if the VPN setup is in that way, my personal suggestion will be try to make the right thing and ask them to make a network not routable, etc, so you can work on your machine.

Thanks
Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0exz%3DkO0_-zWWy4LLC7cLdcN_6zX1ptLhL3PLK2VVTbMpA%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

William Saxton
"vagrant ssh" still works though so there has to be someway to avoid using the VPN, right?  How is vagrant itself doing it?

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 7:15:11 AM UTC-4, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
Hello

VPN unfortunately is something need to be discussed with the network people.

Since they can configure to route all the traffic ovet the VPN, and therefore your host can't see the guest.

If you check the routing table before/after VPN, you should be able to see whats been modified.

From a technical point of view, make it work is doable, but if the VPN setup is in that way, my personal suggestion will be try to make the right thing and ask them to make a network not routable, etc, so you can work on your machine.

Thanks
Alvaro.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 7:02 PM, William Saxton <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="b8EgaotoAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">sax...@...> wrote:

--
This mailing list is governed under the HashiCorp Community Guidelines - <a href="https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.hashicorp.com%2Fcommunity-guidelines.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHa_CaKfZaJiwbkUndUQbVGlQCDw&#39;;return true;">https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html. Behavior in violation of those guidelines may result in your removal from this mailing list.

GitHub Issues: <a href="https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmitchellh%2Fvagrant%2Fissues\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHxcA5DuHlQlPInMi_k1Pz4pMNqNw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="b8EgaotoAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">vagrant-up+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3909c319-6293-4368-b2e4-9e16d1277229%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3909c319-6293-4368-b2e4-9e16d1277229%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3909c319-6293-4368-b2e4-9e16d1277229%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/3909c319-6293-4368-b2e4-9e16d1277229%40googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/a5a3e31e-cdbd-4984-a277-3900bd6c4b77%40googlegroups.com.

Re: Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
vagrant uses port forward.

Check share the port you need and then use ie the brower to http://localhost:8080

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 8:23 PM, William Saxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
"vagrant ssh" still works though so there has to be someway to avoid using the VPN, right?  How is vagrant itself doing it?

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 7:15:11 AM UTC-4, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
Hello

VPN unfortunately is something need to be discussed with the network people.

Since they can configure to route all the traffic ovet the VPN, and therefore your host can't see the guest.

If you check the routing table before/after VPN, you should be able to see whats been modified.

From a technical point of view, make it work is doable, but if the VPN setup is in that way, my personal suggestion will be try to make the right thing and ask them to make a network not routable, etc, so you can work on your machine.

[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ewDB1fY-MhBzmw33gWe-%2BumC2g0KRKR4dyEGpnBhpZQTg%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Lost connections to Virtualbox VM's when I connect to VPN

Reber_42
I think the speed of every VPN depends upon a few factors and that’s why major free VPN services are slow. I always like using the best paid service. Had read the promising hidemyass pro vpn review and bought the service immediately. Truly worth every penny paid.