Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Guilhem Brouat
Hello all !

I would like to use Vagrant to experiment some programming techniques in a "clean" environment, as I work on my office's laptop.
On this computer, I cannot have admin rights, and I was unable to install Vagrant in any way... Am I doomed, or is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Guilhem Brouat
Hello,

Actually, my company allows me to install VirtualBox through their softwares catalog. So this is not a problem. My problem is only with the installation of Vagrant itself.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Guilhem Brouat <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Kv8x_nh-PLEJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">gan...@...> wrote:
Hello all !

I would like to use Vagrant to experiment some programming techniques in a "clean" environment, as I work on my office's laptop.
On this computer, I cannot have admin rights, and I was unable to install Vagrant in any way... Am I doomed, or is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Guilhem Brouat
I tried to install Vagrant in a subfolder of my user folder, but Windows still asks for elevated privileges.
Anyone having an idea about this problem?

Le vendredi 30 janvier 2015 07:52:55 UTC+1, Guilhem Brouat a écrit :
[...]

Can you check if this helps?

this doesn't require install..

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/vagrant-up/install|sort:date/vagrant-up/8daENbtgzJk/CNudOORBrMsJ

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM, Guilhem Brouat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to install Vagrant in a subfolder of my user folder, but Windows
> still asks for elevated privileges.
> Anyone having an idea about this problem?
>
> Le vendredi 30 janvier 2015 07:52:55 UTC+1, Guilhem Brouat a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Actually, my company allows me to install VirtualBox through their
>> softwares catalog. So this is not a problem. My problem is only with the
>> installation of Vagrant itself.
>>

>> Le jeudi 29 janvier 2015 21:37:51 UTC+1, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello, what virtualization tool you will be using? if you get past the
>>> vagrant part, Virtualbox requires admin for network configurations from what
>>> I remember.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Guilhem Brouat
Yes! I will need to extract vagrant from this and get rid of all things I don't need, but I have been able to create a VM, boot it and access it through SSH.

Thank you very much!

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM, Guilhem Brouat <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_a2Ol7ZBk9MJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">gan...@...> wrote:

> I tried to install Vagrant in a subfolder of my user folder, but Windows
> still asks for elevated privileges.
> Anyone having an idea about this problem?
>
> Le vendredi 30 janvier 2015 07:52:55 UTC+1, Guilhem Brouat a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Actually, my company allows me to install VirtualBox through their
>> softwares catalog. So this is not a problem. My problem is only with the
>> installation of Vagrant itself.
>>

>> Le jeudi 29 janvier 2015 21:37:51 UTC+1, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello, what virtualization tool you will be using? if you get past the
>>> vagrant part, Virtualbox requires admin for network configurations from what
>>> I remember.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

pixel fairy
I've run 32 bit virtual machines inside a 64 bit virtual box. could not get it to run 64bit inside 64 bit.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
enable the gui, and what's the error message?

you need Virtualization extension enabled on BIOS.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM, pixel fairy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've run 32 bit virtual machines inside a 64 bit virtual box. could not get it to run 64bit inside 64 bit.

Re: Install Vagrant on a Windows host without admin rights

Torben Knerr
afaik VirtualBox only supports 32-bit in 64-bit, but not 64 in 64