I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up, right?

I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up, right?

Brendan Erwin
I just installed vmware fusion and the vagrant plugin.

I've set the following variables:

export VAGRANT_HOME=/Volumes/External/.vagrant
export VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDER=vmware_fusion

Log here: https://gist.github.com/brendanjerwin/21cece3ae153c7ba67c3

vagrant up fails with:

sudo helper setuid-wrapper must run as root.

but, if I run sudo -E vagrant up it seems to work better.
(it can't determine that the machine has booted due to a permissions error with the ssh keys... I suspect that is because of the sudo.)

I assume something is wrong, I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up should I?

Re: I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up, right?

Mitchell Hashimoto
Brendan,

The issue is that "setuid" isn't sticking on the filesystem on your external hard drive. Vagrant uses setuid to set the "setuid-wrapper" to always run as root. It appears your filesystem on your external doesn't support this.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Brendan Erwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just installed vmware fusion and the vagrant plugin.

I've set the following variables:

export VAGRANT_HOME=/Volumes/External/.vagrant
export VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDER=vmware_fusion

vagrant up fails with:

sudo helper setuid-wrapper must run as root.

but, if I run sudo -E vagrant up it seems to work better.
(it can't determine that the machine has booted due to a permissions error with the ssh keys... I suspect that is because of the sudo.)

I assume something is wrong, I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up should I?

Re: I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up, right?

Brendan Erwin
Hmmm. I'm not having a lot of luck getting suid to work on my external. (removing nosuid from AUTOMOUNTD_MNTOPTS in /etc/autofs.conf doesn't seem to make a difference.)

I need to store my vagrant boxes on the external. Is there a way to tell vagrant where to store boxes separate from VAGRANT_HOME?

I could move my VAGRANT_HOME back to the boot drive then, which I assume would straighten this out.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Brendan Erwin <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Tk6kJDRaKNUJ">brenda...@...> wrote:
I just installed vmware fusion and the vagrant plugin.

I've set the following variables:

export VAGRANT_HOME=/Volumes/External/.vagrant
export VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDER=vmware_fusion

vagrant up fails with:

sudo helper setuid-wrapper must run as root.

but, if I run sudo -E vagrant up it seems to work better.
(it can't determine that the machine has booted due to a permissions error with the ssh keys... I suspect that is because of the sudo.)

I assume something is wrong, I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up should I?

Re: I shouldn't need to sudo vagrant up, right?

Brendan Erwin
Ok, I got it working by changing the options on the already mounted drive.

sudo mount -t HFS -o nodev,noatime -u /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/External

The -u tells it to change the already mounted drive. -o _doesn't_ have nosuid. (the noatime might help speed things up a bit)

I think I'd still like to have a way to separate the box storage from the rest of VAGRANT_HOME though. It'd save me a step and some complexity.