How to set the root password of a VM from Vagrant?

How to set the root password of a VM from Vagrant?

Rob Davis
I've successfully setup a lucid32 box and have used putty and puttygen in Windows to log into it. However I'd also like to be able to set the root password from the Vagrant file or a puppet file.

Re: How to set the root password of a VM from Vagrant?

Chad Thompson

On 13 Feb 2013, at 5:37, Rob Davis wrote:

I've successfully setup a lucid32 box and have used putty and puttygen in Windows to log into it. However I'd also like to be able to set the root password from the Vagrant file or a puppet file.

If you needed to change the root password to the box (what's the use case here?) - you could execute a shell command in a puppet script, something along the lines of:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8236699/script-to-change-password-on-linux-servers-over-ssh

--
Chad Thompson

Re: How to set the root password of a VM from Vagrant?

Mark Waddle
Out of curiosity, why do you want to set the root password? So far I have found that sudoing from the vagrant account meets all my needs.

Regardless, the easiest way is probably with a shell provisioner statement.