How Does Vagrant Talk to Provisioners (ssh?)?

How Does Vagrant Talk to Provisioners (ssh?)?

Jon Forrest
I've been reading the Vagrant docs and there's one non-critical issue that's got me wondering.
That is, by what means does Vagrant communicate with the VMs in order to do provisioning?
I'm guessing it's through ssh because I can't think of anything else it could be.

Assuming this is true, then it also has to be true that Vagrant includes Ruby code that can
do the data transfer part of ssh. This is because Vagrant works on Windows but
Windows doesn't include ssh out of the box.

I think a short mention of how this works would be useful in the Vagrant docs.

Jon Forrest

Re: How Does Vagrant Talk to Provisioners (ssh?)?

Jon Forrest

I think I found the answer. It was SSH.

From the The provision! method documentation:

"During this method, the provisioner should SSH and run any commands it requires for provisioning"

Re: How Does Vagrant Talk to Provisioners (ssh?)?

Mitchell Hashimoto
Jon,

It is SSH. This is being abstracted away in a future version though. Provisioners should just assume they have a shell. The method by which their commands are carried out should be of no concern (from an implementation perspective). This leads the way for things such as direct guest execution (via VirtualBox's API) or WinRM and such possible.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Jon Forrest <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think I found the answer. It was SSH.

From the The provision! method documentation:

"During this method, the provisioner should SSH and run any commands it requires for provisioning"