First attempt at vagrant...

7stud
...but right off the bat, I got this:

===
[default] Importing base box 'lucid32'...
[default] The guest additions on this VM do not match the install version of
VirtualBox! This may cause things such as forwarded ports, shared
folders, and more to not work properly. If any of those things fail on
this machine, please update the guest additions and repackage the
box.

Guest Additions Version: 4.2.0
VirtualBox Version: 4.2.6
====

That sort of flies in the face of Vagrant's call to arms:

              SEE HOW EASY IT IS

I don't think my error message is good advertising for vagrant.

In any case, the VM seemed to work anyway--the first time.  Now, when I do:

~/vagrant_example$ vagrant destroy
~/vagrant_example$ vagrant up

I get an additional error:

[default] Importing base box 'lucid32'...
[default] The guest additions on this VM do not match the install version of
VirtualBox! This may cause things such as forwarded ports, shared
folders, and more to not work properly. If any of those things fail on
this machine, please update the guest additions and repackage the
box.

Guest Additions Version: 4.2.0
VirtualBox Version: 4.2.6
[default] Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
[default] Clearing any previously set forwarded ports...
[default] Forwarding ports...
[default] -- 22 => 2222 (adapter 1)
[default] -- 80 => 8080 (adapter 1)
[default] Creating shared folders metadata...
[default] Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
[default] Booting VM...
[default] Waiting for VM to boot. This can take a few minutes.
[default] VM booted and ready for use!
[default] Mounting shared folders...
[default] -- v-root: /vagrant
[default] -- v-csc-1: /tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks
The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!

mount -t vboxsf -o uid=`id -u vagrant`,gid=`id -g vagrant` v-csc-1 /tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks
~/vagrant_example$

Additional info:

~/vagrant_example$ vagrant -v
Vagrant version 1.0.6

Mac OSX 10.6.8

SEE HOW EASY IT IS

Re: First attempt at vagrant...

Mitchell Hashimoto
Howdy,

Your first "error" message is actually a "warning" message, and Vagrant continues on its merry way. I'm not sure how this makes your life harder. ;)

The second issue is actually an error, however. In future versions of Vagrant this error message has been changed to include the output which can be very helpful. Can you try to run this directly in the VM:

$ sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=`id -u vagrant`,gid=`id -g vagrant` v-csc-1 /tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks

You can get to the VM by running "vagrant ssh" :)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM, 7stud <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking a look.

>Your first "error" message is actually a "warning" message, and Vagrant continues on its merry way. I'm not sure how this makes your life harder. ;)<

Okay, but I think a basic vagrant example shouldn't produce any warnings.  Is that too much to ask?  Also, the warning portends of future errors with, say, port forwarding.  That is stuff a beginner shouldn't have to deal with.

>The second issue is actually an error, however.<

Yep, my error as it turns out.  I was messing around with my Vagrantfile, which I forgot about.  I deleted my whole vagrant_example directory and started over with the tutorial, and that error went away.

What should I do about the warning?  I wasn't able to ascertain how to 'update the guest additions and repackage the
box.'

Thanks.