Error trying to install vagrant-aws

12

Re: Error trying to install vagrant-aws

Mark Waddle
What worked for me without hiccups on Ubuntu 12.04 was to:
  1. uninstall the old version of vagrant that I had previously installed as a global gem (sudo gem uninstall vagrant)
  2. install vagrant using the deb file from the downloads (sudo dpkg -i vagrant*.deb) .. this installs an "embedded" ruby/gem/etc that have the correct versions for vagrant
  3. ensure that the version of vagrant you are executing when calling vagrant is the new one (which vagrant) ... should be /usr/bin/vagrant that is bash script that executes /opt/vagrant/bin/vagrant
  4. install vagrant plugins without sudo (vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws) ... this uses the embedded gem and installs under your ~/.vagrant.d/ directory
This way your ruby environment is left untouched and vagrant has its own private copy of everything.

Cheers,
Mark

On Friday, March 15, 2013 2:20:47 PM UTC-7, Jeff Sussna wrote:
I tipped up a virgin Ubuntu box inside of Vagrant, installed and ran Vagrant 1.1 and vagrant-aws inside of it. Worked like a charm. So must just be effed-up Ruby environment on my machine. FWIW after installing Vagrant 1.1. virgin box still thinks it doesn't have Ruby.

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:31:23 PM UTC-5, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
Hrm. I package libxml2 with the Vagrant 1.1 installers but maybe its not working on Ubuntu.

You can install libxml2/libxslt (and the -dev packages) on your own machine to get it working.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Installed Vagrant 1.1 on Ubuntu. Running 'sudo vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws' returns:

/opt/vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in `rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Ruby version is 1.9.3p0. Note that I am not a Ruby expert, so entirely possible I'm missing something I need at the Ruby level. Be gentle :-).

12