Error trying to install vagrant-aws

12

Error trying to install vagrant-aws

Jeff Sussna
Installed Vagrant 1.1 on Ubuntu. Running 'sudo vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws' returns:

/opt/vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in `rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Ruby version is 1.9.3p0. Note that I am not a Ruby expert, so entirely possible I'm missing something I need at the Ruby level. Be gentle :-).

Re: Error trying to install vagrant-aws

Mitchell Hashimoto
Hrm. I package libxml2 with the Vagrant 1.1 installers but maybe its not working on Ubuntu.

You can install libxml2/libxslt (and the -dev packages) on your own machine to get it working.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Installed Vagrant 1.1 on Ubuntu. Running 'sudo vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws' returns:

/opt/vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in `rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Ruby version is 1.9.3p0. Note that I am not a Ruby expert, so entirely possible I'm missing something I need at the Ruby level. Be gentle :-).

Re: Error trying to install vagrant-aws

André Lima
sudo apt-get install libxml2

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Atenciosamente,

André Lima

Re: Error trying to install vagrant-aws

Jeff Sussna
With a minor edit to the Gemfile I was able to build and test the plugin locally. When I try to run it via bundle exec vagrant up --provider=aws, with a Vagrantfile copied from the vagrant-aws README.md, I get:

Vagrant failed to initialize at a very early stage:

There is a syntax error in the following Vagrantfile. The syntax error
message is reproduced below for convenience:

/home/jeffsussna/.bundler/ruby/1.8/vagrant-194948999371/config/default.rb:22: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting kEND
    guest: 22,
          ^
/home/jeffsussna/.bundler/ruby/1.8/vagrant-194948999371/config/default.rb:24: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting kEND

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:18:32 PM UTC-5, Jeff Sussna wrote:
Installed Vagrant 1.1 on Ubuntu. Running 'sudo vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws' returns:

/opt/vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in `rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Ruby version is 1.9.3p0. Note that I am not a Ruby expert, so entirely possible I'm missing something I need at the Ruby level. Be gentle :-).

Re: Error trying to install vagrant-aws

Mitchell Hashimoto
Jeff,

Vagrant only works with Ruby 1.9 now.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nilesh
Please edit gemfile to force bundler to use 1.9.3

source "https://rubygems.org"
ruby "1.9.3"
# ...

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Your Ruby version is 1.8.7, but your Gemfile specified 1.9.3"

ruby -v returns 1.9.3. Vagrant itself runs just fine.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Jeff Sussna <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="JGRsGgVR0IUJ">j...@...> wrote:
[...]

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Came with 1.8.7 IIRC. I installed 1.9.1 (apt-get). Had rvm running at one point but didn't work with that so I ripped it out. Probably left a clamp or two inside the chest cavity when I did :-).

Is there a clean way to 'start over' re Ruby install/config/gems/etc.? Get rid of 1.8.7 altogether?

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Jeff Sussna <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ZpZjTGm9uDwJ">j...@...> wrote:
[...]

I would ignore the system rubies and the apt-get partial(?) ruby you got. Instead I would try salvaging by using rbenv on the lines of https://gist.github.com/MicahElliott/2407918

Watch out for $PATH carefully so you know rbenv rubies take precedence over system and other rubies.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Jeff Sussna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I burned my ruby environment to the ground and started over. Everything seems to use 1.9.1 now. Vagrant 1.1 runs fine, nokogiri builds fine, so I'm assuming dev tools are properly installed. Still have the same problem trying to install vagrant-aws provider. 'bundle exec vagrant up --provider=aws' when run from the directory where I cloned and built the provider returns 'provider aws could not be found'.

At this point I am declaring myself dead in the water.