Error installing vagrant-aws on Mac

Michael Waldrop
I'm relatively new to vagrant and very much a Ruby newbie.  I'm trying to add the ability to deploy to AWS to a 1.2 install on a mac.  When I try to add the vagrant-aws plugin to my install, I get:

$ vagrant plugin install vagrant-aws
Installing the 'vagrant-aws' plugin. This can take a few minutes...
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in `rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /Applications/Vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

So reading the threads suggests that this is a ruby build issue.  Do I really need to install a ruby development environment to add this capability to vagrant ?  I was hoping to avoid having to dig into ruby that far if possible.

Thanks.

Re: Error installing vagrant-aws on Mac

Mitchell Hashimoto
Michael,

You shouldn't have to. The installers are supposed to set everything up so this is not necessary. It appears there is some bug in the configuration of the installers. I haven't pinpointed the issue yet though.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Michael Waldrop <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ashenoy
I experienced a similar issue. In my case I had xcode version 4.2 and I uninstalled it. Then I installed the aws plugin and everything worked smoothly.

Side note: I hope you have rvm/rbenv to mange your rubies.

HTH
Anjali