Error: Failed to set owner to '1000' when copying files with Puppet - OS X host, Debian VM

Error: Failed to set owner to '1000' when copying files with Puppet - OS X host, Debian VM

Rachel Andrew
Hello

I am a Vagrant and Puppet newbie, I have created a Base Box with Debian Squeeze plus standalone Puppet, using the instructions here to install Puppet with the Puppetlabs packages: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html#debian-and-ubuntu

The box itself seems to import successfully but once I get onto provisioning it, I get errors that seem to be to do with the nfs share on the host. 1000 is the uid of the Vagrant user on the vm.

Error:

Error: Failed to set owner to '1000': Operation not permitted - /vagrant/www/index.php

Error: /Stage[main]/Perchdemo::Sites::Create/File[/vagrant/www/index.php]/owner: change from 501 to vagrant failed: Failed to set owner to '1000': Operation not permitted - /vagrant/www/index.php

This occurs when I copy the index.php file into the share /vagrant/www on the host filesystem using Puppet. I have used this Puppet module on a standalone install of Puppet on a vm where the files were hosted on the filesystem of the vm, ideally though I'd like them to be on the nfs share.

My VagrantFile for this is as follows.

-----

Vagrant::Config.run do |config|

  config.vm.box = "squeeze64"

  config.vm.network :hostonly, "10.1.0.52"

  config.nfs.map_uid = :auto
  config.nfs.map_gid = :auto

  config.vm.forward_port 80, 8080

  config.vm.share_folder("v-web", "/vagrant/www", "./www", :nfs => true)

  config.vm.provision :shell, :inline => "echo \"Europe/London\" | sudo tee /etc/timezone && dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata"

  config.vm.provision :shell, :inline => "apt-get update --fix-missing"
  config.vm.provision :shell, :inline => "apt-get upgrade"

  config.vm.provision :puppet do |puppet|
     puppet.facter = { "fqdn" => "perchtutorial.eoms"}
     puppet.manifests_path = "puppet/manifests"
     puppet.manifest_file  = "perchtutorial.pp"
     puppet.module_path = "puppet/modules"

--------

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rachel